Something the SWMBO will love

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
I have an empty carboy, and I would like to fill it obviously. So I want to make something special, just for her. She has liked most everything I have brewed, and will drink almost anything, from a Mickey's 32 to pint of Guinness with me, so she is pretty versed.

Any ideas gentlemen? What does your woman like to drink, that you also like to drink?

:mug:

Good old fashioned Clean American Wheat! Throw some apricot in the bottling bucket or keg, and BAM!!

The only thing my girl will drink is Framboise/Peche lambic, but she's an avowed beer non-drinker, so that's a bust.

Other than that, variations on the Caramel Cream are like catnip for females.

6lb Pils
6lb Light Wheat
Mash 153 for 60
1 oz Haller @60
Tbsp Moss @15
.5oz Haller @10
4oz bottle of Apricot at keg/bottling

I started dating a new girl a few months back in which she only drinks Michelob Ultra. So I have been having her try all sorts of different beers to find something that she likes. So far the winner is Rasberry Lambic. Second place goes to a light Rasberry ale and third a Hefe. I can already see the trend so I am attempting to brew a Rasberry ale this weekend.

Cap'n Jewbeard said:
The only thing my girl will drink is Framboise/Peche lambic, but she's an avowed beer non-drinker, so that's a bust.

My wife has much broader tastes, she'll drink all of the versions, not just the peach! other than that, she'll just smell my beers (loves the smell of hops) but hates to drink any of them.

My fiance loves Belgian style brews and IPAs. Give her a Maudite or a Dogfish Head 90 and she's happy.

I made a Dunkel recipe from a LHBS kit and she loved that. Saddly, I bet we finish off the last of the bottles this weekend.

well, I do have my Pale and Speckled Ale (British Pale Ale) for her Dad (who loves that kind of beer) and it was named after her.....she'll like that, but I could go with the fruit.....but I have a feeling I'd get a look.

I actually may have to go with Yooper here....I've wanted another IPA, she and I both enjoyed that while it lasted.

I do have Apfelwein on deck........she'll like that I assume, so many choices, I guess I just have to get some more carboys :D

My wife doesn't like beer. It's all I can do just to get her to try my brews. I once got her to try some Magic Hat #9 and she love it!! If you can find a #9 clone go with that. A Raspberry Wheat is also fail safe!

Apfelwein - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

Try Edworts recipe. Most of the lady folk like cider. aka - Apfelwein

Its super-simple takes about 20 minutes start to finish. ~ 1 month wait.

I hear its awesome kegged, however I only bottle mine.

This is a bit dry. If she doesn't like dry, you can back sweeten at bottling or kegging.

The ABV is 8.5% so she doesn't need to drink much to feel buzzed.

BTW - I'm making a Blackberry Apfelwein today. I've got raspberry, strawberry and plain on hand.

:tank:

natehilde said:
My wife doesn't like beer. It's all I can do just to get her to try my brews. I once got her to try some Magic Hat #9 and she love it!! If you can find a #9 clone go with that. A Raspberry Wheat is also fail safe!

when we went to go see John Legend, we went and got beers before tailgaiting. I ordered a SNPA, and she got a #9....needless to say, I got stuck drinking the #9 because she thinks it's kinda boring. I was upset over this.

Apfelein is being made this week coming up I think.....that should just be straight up fun!

98EXL said:
when we went to go see John Legend, we went and got beers before tailgaiting. I ordered a SNPA, and she got a #9....needless to say, I got stuck drinking the #9 because she thinks it's kinda boring. I was upset over this.

You were upset that she didn't like the #9 or upset that you "had" to drink it. The second doesn't make much sense. That is like saying she made you sit down and watch a football game.

I was upset that my SNPA got jacked! It wasn't that bad, better than BMC, we just started to drink before the concert, and that's what I wanted for my base.....

A buddy of mine made a dunkelweiss and then added dried apricots to the secondary. It's the only beer he's made that his SWMBO will drink and she absolutely loves it. In all honesty, I'm not a huge fan of that style brew and I thought it was incredible. The dried apricots give it just a hint of fruit flavor that doesn't overpower like the liquid flavorings tend to.

Yooper Chick said:
... I would much rather have a nice IPA, though. I vote for that!
My fiancee is the same way. If there is an IPA or IIPA on the list, that's what she'll go for. She likes most beers except BMC and - go figure - most wheats!

That said, she likes blueberries and really liked Bar Harbor's Blueberry ale. She ended up making a clone herself that was pretty good. But she made blueberry purree herself from frozen blueberries, then heated them in the microwave to sanitize them. It was a complete mess. She vowed never again!:D

Yooper Chick said:
I've heard that most women like fruity wheat beers. I would much rather have a nice IPA, though. I vote for that!

Here...Here Lorena :) Wait a sec I don't really even like IPA's..:p

My wife's new Fav has to be mead. We're drinking the infamous "Joe's Ancient Orange" mead. My wife said it was probably one of her all time favorites!

Thanks again Lorena for sharing the recipe it was a big hit!!:mug:

My friend, a simple google search is all that stands between you and the answer you seek :D.

GIusedtoBe said:
Okay I'm sure this is a stupid question but what is a SWMBO?

Regards,
Alan

here is a head start:
[ame]http://www.google.com/search?q=SWMBO+site%3Awww.homebrewtalk.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a[/ame]

My wife isn't much of a beer drinker. It's quite a task to get her to taste one of my beers, and when she does she almost always throws it back at me with a morbid look on her face.
She does like Blue Moon, though. She also likes the Wyders Cider, esp the apple and peach varieties. I've got Apfelwein in primary rigth now for her to try.
I'm alwaays at the liqour store trying to find something she'll like, and then I'll try and find a clone recipe for it.

:mug:

Back