some pics of my new brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek: Look at that thermometer! That ***** is HUGE!

Awesome rig!

Yeah, you like that thermometer?! That was an awesome ebay find. Got it for $40 shipped. It's a Weksler 5" dial and it can be tilted (I didn't know that when bidding on it.)

Shaggyt,
More pics of the brewstand if anybody is interested.

157_5732-1.jpg

157_5735-1.jpg

157_5737-1.jpg

157_5738.jpg

Damn, I like that U channel steel... very nice!

Around $200-300?

I like that

Thanks harley03...that stand is *uckin' rock:rockin: These pics will be hella useful when I get the materials.

Did you get all the connectors at HD as well?

Yes I got everything at home depot. The channel I got on sale while the brackets and fasteners I had to pay regular price.
However the bracket can add up pretty quick so make sure you know what you need or at least keep your receipt.

I have a MIG welder at home but just did not feel like welding at the time. Anyway hope the pics help this was the beginning of my HERMS build and it will also be controlled by the BCS460 which seems to be gaining popularity with other homebrewers.

Below is a link with my build with some updated photos but it has not been update in awhile.

Everything is basically done excepot the electrical portion which I need to finish. Once the electrical portion is done I will be ready to go.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/another-herms-designed-clock-135250/

i started doing my rig, frame is 80% done. i post pictures after iam done with the build, keep your eyes open project "masha st-xpr"

So sweet man. I'm definitely going this route when I build my stand. Anything that you would have done different?

Sam, that bottom temp probe on the MLT that goes through the same T-piece as the ball valve, what's the probe length on that? I am considering a similar setup with 2 inch probe.

Cheers
Zac

Sam, that bottom temp probe on the MLT that goes through the same T-piece as the ball valve, what's the probe length on that? I am considering a similar setup with 2 inch probe.

Cheers
Zac

I have the 6" probe but the 2" will work fine too. Either probe will extend far enough into the tee that the flow of wort will pass over it and you'll get a good reading (while recirculating of course).

When direct-firing the tun, I have to watch to make sure the mash doesn't stick. If the flow slows down too much, the wort under the false bottom will get hotter than what the thermometer reads. I realized this when the mash for my wit started boiling and the thermometer only read 150F. This was really weird because the big thermometer only read like 135F. (The whole mash wasn't really boiling just the liquid under the false bottom.)

Now, when I want to do a step, I'll recirc with the pump wide open and stir the mash with my paddle so the bed doesn't compact. At the same time, I watch the bottom thermometer to make sure I don't have the heat up too high. I'll try to keep it under 170F. I've found I can raise the mash temp 2 - 3 degrees every minute or so.

Harley03, I'm considering making my own version of your stand using the superstrut. What are the dimensions of the stand (H x W x L) and spacing of the cross beams on the top tier? Can you post a picture showing how the burners are mounted to the strut? Oh yeah, what burner did you use? Thanks.

Wow! great job.

I just book-marked this page, I will be copying this design later this year. Hope you dont mind.

I never learned how to weld, I do everything with wood, your brew stand is a perfect solution for me.

Again great idea.

Back