Some lessons from my second brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCSU_Brewer

Reaction score
Last night I brewed a Blue Moon clone that I posted in this thread. This was my second brew and first non-kit brew. I learned a lot from the experience and I'm hoping I can help out some of my fellow "green" brewers.

First, some background on my set-up. I brew in my kitchen. I use a 4 gallon kettle heated by a gas range. I'm fortunate in that I have a lot of counter space (~6 feet to the right of the range).

The first time I brewed, my wife commented that the kitchen looked like a war zone during the brew. I cleaned up, of course, but she couldn't get over how bad things looked mid-brew. Which brings me to lesson #1:

Get out everything you'll need before you start.

Bucket, carboy, auto-siphon, ingredients, you name it. Since I have plenty of space, I also like to lay out my ingredients in the order I'll be using them. I figure I'm less likely to add the aroma hops when I should add the bittering, etc.

Once I get my steep going, I start mixing up my sanitizing solution. On my first brew, I never would have dreamed of multitasking, mostly because I'm the type of person who loses track of time very easily. That was lesson #2 for me:

Invest in a brewing app.

Seriously, do it. The $8 I spent on BeerSmith is worth it for the timer alone. As long as my phone is with me, I never have to worry about forgetting my steep or forgetting to add an ingredient.

For brew #1 I waited until the water started boiling to begin adding my DME. This time, because I was in a bit more of a hurry, I added my DME as the water was heating. That's when I learned lesson #3:

DME is exceptionally flammable. Consider turning the heat off while you add it.

Yep. I added while the gas burner was on. Yep. spilled some. Yep, it burst into a small, match-sized flame. Fortunately I was able to clean this up without much fuss. Lesson #4:

Clean as you go.

It can be very tempting to leave the cleaning until the end. Let me tell you, last night at midnight, the last thing I wanted to do was clean. Fortunately all I had to do was wash my kettle and rinse out my bottling bucket (more on that in a moment). There's often a lot of "dead time" in brewing, especially once your hot break has subsided and you've made your bittering additions (assuming your recipe isn't overly-complicated). I had 15 minutes waiting for my wort to boil, and 30 minutes between my bittering addition and my coriander addition. I cleaned during that time.

Everything post-boil went smoothly. I chill my kettle in a sink filled with ice water. My transfer process is 2 steps: I pour out of my kettle and into my sanitized bottling bucket which is covered with a straining cloth. This captures the majority of crud. I then pour out of my bottling bucket through a funnel and into my carboy. From there I top up to 5 gallons, pitch my yeast, and tuck the carboy away in my fermentation chamber. That reminds me, lesson #5:

Be extremely careful carrying a full glass carboy.

When I brewed my first beer I carried the full carboy to its fermentation spot (a corner in our office) with my bare hands. Then I read all of the carboy horror stories on here. I promptly invested in a brew hauler. Best money I've spent since getting into the hobby. If you opt not to get a brew hauler, get a sturdy milk crate.

The following are additional suggestions. Seasoned brewers, please chime in with your own.

1. For your first brew, buy a kit!
2. Save your kit instructions.
3. For your first non-kit brew, pick a recipe similar to a kit you've done before.
4. When in doubt, use the kit instructions from #2 as a reference.
5. Wear pants and close-toed, rubber sole shoes when moving your carboy. I can't emphasize enough the importance of being safe when handling glass.

Others?

I perform a similar series of steps.

1. I read my instructions for kits and or recipes a couple times over and highlight all the main steps and important notes with a highlighter
2. I actually label my hop additions, DME, LME, etc with a number correlating to when they get added
3. I then wash and sanitize the entire area in my kitchen that has any chance of coming into contact with my equipment
4. I lay out all my ingredients and equipment in a nice methodical manner as to when it will be used or frequency so its easily at hand
5. I start the brew and in between steps I reference my notes or BeerSmith app, clean rinse, sanitize used equipment
6. Cleanup and go back over any steps to add notes on lessons learned etc.
7. I keep a binder with all my brew instructions, notes, etc for reference

This may seem a bit anal, ocd, and meticulous but it has worked very well for me and helps keep my brain focused during the heat of the battle. I have noticed that having a beer or two help keep things relaxed and flowing as well as having a partner there to help out as an extra pair of hands or keep you on target is a big plus.

I was looking at one of the Big Boy Bubblers instead of a glass carboy, myself. I have too many places that the glass one could break and cause some havok....

Good tips. Thanks!

Meh....the "dangers" of glass are greatly exaggerated...

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from using glass. I got 2 glass carboys as freebies from a buddy and don't plan on replacing them. However, I think that moving a full glass carboy without a crate or brew hauler is unnecessarily dangerous. Hence my opinion.

However, I think that moving a full glass carboy without a crate or brew hauler is unnecessarily dangerous. Hence my opinion.
I didn't say not to use an assist of some sort....I use a milk crate and the carboy handle that fits the neck, one hand gripping each...so much paranoia in the homebrew world these days....oxidation, infection, breaking carboys...a little common sense and good practice go a long way

Back