Some first taste notes..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Last night I tasted my Dog Days of Summer Ale. It was basically NB's Three Hearted kit, but I added ~4oz oak chips (soaked in Jim Beam for 3hrs and steamed in Beam and water for 20min) at racking time. When I bottled, it was a really smooth American IPA. I bottled with DME (1-1/4cups) for the first time.

It had been a week, so I tossed one in the fridge to check carbonation. Popped the lid last night to a loud hiss. Nice. I have been told that the ehad is better, with denser smaller bubbles when using DME. I poured it and got half the glass as head. Even the bottle foamed internally at that point. Smell was all hops. Mouthfeel was smooth, but really different due to the smaller bubbles. Will this was a decent beer, at the moment the oak/bourbon really dominates flavor wise.

A couple of questions...as it ages, with the oak/bourbon mellow and allow the IPA flavor to become more prominent? Also, is that kind of foaming/head normal for a DME primed beer? I had high hopes for this brew, and I am hoping that it ages into a spectacular beer.

-Todd

It's only been a week, so even though you're obviously carbonated, your beer could still use some conditioning. I imagine that that oak/bourbon flavor will mellow out over time. Try to give them as much time as possible...your patience will be rewarded.

HomerT said:
I added ~4oz oak chips (soaked in Jim Beam for 3hrs and steamed in Beam and water for 20min) at racking time.

Do you think you could go into this process a bit more? I've been pondering on a beer with a hint of whiskey. Thanks!

HomerT said:
I have been told that the ehad is better, with denser smaller bubbles when using DME.

-Todd

There's ehad, then there's really good ehad. There is no such thing as bad ehad!

:D

Somerville said:
Do you think you could go into this process a bit more? I've been pondering on a beer with a hint of whiskey. Thanks!

I got a pound bag of light toasted american oak chips from my LHBS. I put ~4oz in a bowl and added just enough Jim Beam Black to cover the mix (my wife called this Red-neck potpourri :D ). I let it soak for about three hours. I then added the oak chipsto a strainer and poured the bourbon in a small pot with some water. I steamed the oak chips over this pot for 20min. The I added them to the carboy with my dry-hop addition at racking.

--Todd

cweston said:
Yes, the oakiness will mellow over, say, the next 3-4 weeks.

Awsome...exactly what I was hoping for. If that happenes and the IPA flavor "pops"....this could be a spectacular beer.

-Todd

Howdy,
I havnt got the hang of how to post other than to an individual so since your are a "senior" member I will ask you my question. I started a batch of IPA over a month ago with the usual stuff: malt extract and hops but also the recipe called for rock candy and I added some unfermentable dextran to give it some body. It sat for a month after moving it to a secondary and I still had bubbles at the meniscus and more when the secondary was tilted a little. I went for a month long trip and was too lazy to toss it before I went so today, nearly two months later Idecide to taste it before chucking it-it tast great!!. It still has not cleared completely and still has bubbles-I am afraid to bottle it if it is still fermenting-got any ideas?

Just a follwo up here. Lordy, what a difference a week makes. I popped another one....perfect head and carb....and damn if this isn't the best beer I have ever made. The oak faded, and the IPA came out...now the balance is perfect!

-Todd

Sounds awesome. Isn't that exactly the reason why we have this hobby? I love it when a good recipe comes together! The satisfaction of making something special is why I love brewing...

Cheers :mug:

BrewStef

Wouldn't the whiskey sterilize them to begin with?
I want to save as much whiskey for my glass that I can ;)

The whiskey itself is not enough....at least I wasn't willing to risk a 5-gallon batch.

-Todd

Back