Solution for Overcarbonated Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjthomas21

Reaction score
So I made a milk stout that has the carbonation level of a saison. It taste delicious but the carbonation is overwhelming and it is difficult to enjoy the roasted flavors when the bubbles are dancing all over my tongue. I've been letting the beers sit in my fridge for 10-15 minutes after I open them to let some of the carbonation fizzle out but I was wondering if there was a better solution.

I was thinking of opening the bottle and then recapping it with a new cap in efforts to release some carbonation momentarily and letting some of the C02 in the liquid works its way out (into the small head space of the bottle) and then letting it sit around for a few days/weeks until I finally get around to drinking it. Has anybody done anything similar to this or have any thoughts on if this would work or not?

IMO, let it ride and learn for the next time. BTW, it should take a little bit of time to achieve a proper pour and the flavors will be better slightly warmer than fridge temps.

Carefully pour to the rim, allow foam to settle, pour some more, etc. This allows the beer to breathe and in your case let the carbonation settle. This patience will also allow the beer to warm slightly and the flavors will improve.

This is the way the English pubs do it and you'll find that the head stays nice and true throughout the glass.

For the next batch be sure you are measuring the proper finished volume of beer, taking temperature in to account and weighing out your priming sugar to achieve the proper volume of CO2

Latest posts

Back