Soil/earth/dirt off flavor!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
I tasted a gravity sample of a Amarillo saison thats been 3 weeks in the fermenter. It had a Sharp aroma and flavor that can only be described as soil. Pretty much the same smell that you get on your fingers after youve touched the soil from your plants.
the beer is pilsner malt, Munich and carapale and the hops are Amarillo and Simcoe. I used a small pinch of campden powder in the mash water and the yeast was Belle Saison...

I had the exact same taste to my first batch. I'm pretty much convinced its because I over-boiled. I had to boil about 45min-1h longer with the hops in there because I realized too late I had way too much water. I also screwed up my yeast starter by miscalculating the wort gravity (made a 1L starter with a gravity at something like 1.09).

Has this been the case for you as well?

Otherwise, the hops I used were Saaz and Styrian Goldings.
I'm a beginner as well so I'd love to know for sure if its something else in my process that brought in those flavors.

I had the exact same taste to my first batch. I'm pretty much convinced its because I over-boiled. I had to boil about 45min-1h longer with the hops in there because I realized too late I had way too much water. I also screwed up my yeast starter by miscalculating the wort gravity (made a 1L starter with a gravity at something like 1.09).

Has this been the case for you as well?

Otherwise, the hops I used were Saaz and Styrian Goldings.
I'm a beginner as well so I'd love to know for sure if its something else in my process that brought in those flavors.

No that didint happen to me,I do have a new stove that seems to be crap. It overheats all the time so i have to change between two pads back and forth... Maybe its not boiled enough?

Belle Saison is a dry yeast so i just had it some water and then pitched it and the fermentation was good, 1054-1004... Ive gotten different kinds of off-flavors Before but never this one.

Back