Soda carbonation and the wife.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioguy

Reaction score
My wife has this habit that irritates me. When she pours soda from a 2L bottle, she crushes the sides before putting the cap back on. I think that this makes the soda go flat quicker. Am I wrong?

My reasoning is that, if the sides are crushed, the CO2 can come out of solution and never builds up enough partial pressure to keep the rest in solution (as would happen if the sides weren't crushed).

Id think reducing headspace (ie squishing) would prevent CO2 loss from equalization. Do you keg? If so you an buy one of those carbonate caps and everyone will be happy.

I'd say you are right - I think squishing puts a negative pressure on the whole container that will pull the CO2 out of solution.

But by reducing the headspace, she is reducing the amount of O2 in there and thus reducing whatever affect oxidation would have.

I wouldn't crush it myself.

Id think reducing headspace (ie squishing) would prevent CO2 loss from equalization. Do you keg? If so you an buy one of those carbonate caps and everyone will be happy.

Or I could make my own soda, and that would argue for a soda/beer/seltzer tower in the kitchen.

They make a cap with a PUMP built into it just to help keep the CO2 in solution. By crushing the bottle she is indeed producing negative pressure that will help the CO2 come out of solution, making the soda go flat quicker.

I used to own one of those caps. It had a pump handle shaped like Daffy Duck.

Back