soda gets flat immediately but is also foamy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doeby

Reaction score
I have a lancer soda machine. i did not change any of the line lengths or anything, just fixed broken parts with same ones.
My soda comes out foamy, but also seems a little light on carbonation. Then very quickly what carbonation is there is gone.
If i lower CO2 pressure, foam goes away, but is even less carbonated.
If i increase Co2 pressure, it does get a little more carbonated, but still loses it very quickly
i have a mccann carbonator(new pump, and motor is cycling fine, 1 way valve tested good)
that is to operate between 90 and 105psi. That line is room temperature until the soda water
line goes into a water bath threw stainless steel lines to dispense, and the temperature in the water bath is 33 degrees
All that is factory, and worked before i got it.
Syrup i have is a little expired, but i didn't think that should effect the carbonation.
I know this will effect it, but i don't have ice in the cup its getting poured in.

It seems like the CO2 just isn't getting into the water enough.
Any ideas to what to check, or try.

I was factory manager at our Coca Cola plant in Edmonton north London. To make Coke to have enough carbonation you have to remove the oxygen from the water. This is done in a vacuum tank at low temperatures. You then put CO2 in and pour the coke over a weir to increase the surface area to increase the surface area. Coke in pubs on draught uses tap water and goes flat quickly. Coke in cans has 4 volumes of carbonation.

"That line is room temperature until the soda water"

I think that is your problem. You need to chill the water before carbonation. Cold water takes carbonation better than warm water. Plumb your water line into a reservoir in a refrigerator nearby, and insulate the line from the refrigerator to the carbonator, might be an inexpensive option. Otherwise you'll need to get a pre-chiller.

Back