So you built your MLT huh? . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now I'm running a 3' ss braid in a 10g rubbermaid. I triple looped it around a brass T which sits in the center, sorta like an old time lollypop with a vinyl stem to the valve. However, I made a sweet pex drip ring, looks fancy, works great. It is basically a circle with two spokes, 9" diam using three brass T's. I drilled a ton of 1/32" holes in it for a good spray. Now I'm thinking of doing the same for a MLT mani. Probably 1/8" holes in an array only below the half way point of the tubes. Slots I think would cause the thing to curl up with heat.

In my ten gallon cooler, I just removed the hose completely, then attached a brass part to the open end of the braid via a clamp to weigh the braid down so it doesn't float.

However, in my 70 quart Xtreme cooler, the braid was getting really banged up and would also float because of the length. I inserted a long SS spring into the braid and now that thing is indestructible!

This is what happened to mine, can i ask what spring you used and where you got it?
Cheers!

How difficult to clean is a MLT with braid? It would seem like lots would get stuck in the braid.

Is PEX ok at these temps?

I have zero issues with anything getting stuck in the braid. I put in some warm water and let it soak for a short time, then spray it off to shake out any particles and I am good to go. Occasionally I also remove the braid (it is held on by the hose clamp) and make sure it is good and clean but usually only every 5 brews or so.

Still have never had a stuck sparge with my setup!

How difficult to clean is a MLT with braid? It would seem like lots would get stuck in the braid.

Nothing at all gets stuck in my braid. I simply hose out the tun after using it. If I get motivated, I Oxiclean the whole thing every 5 years or so.

looks like they only sell them in packs of 6. :( $11 without shipping is a little hard for me to stomach when I just need one. Anyone have any 15/16" springs made of SS that they are willing to ship to me for a little $?

You have to look under the continuous compression springs. You can get a 20" coil for $3.78 each. Still have s/h but it isn't too bad.

I still stand by my old 1/2" copper pipe 10" long with a zillion cuts on the bottom of it inserted into my ss braid. Never a problem and I have brewed dozens of times with it. 87% efficiency on some of those! And it only cost me a little more than $2 from HD

Get the right braid and you don't have to mess with any of that stuff. Mine works great with no reinforcement after 370 brews.

I use a SS toilet supply line. I'm in the process of getting some pics of it and description of the number of strands, etc. on my website. Give me a week or so and they should be there.

I use a SS toilet supply line. I'm in the process of getting some pics of it and description of the number of strands, etc. on my website. Give me a week or so and they should be there.

Thats what I use, but its like 2 feet long. I'm definately going to take your suggestion and cut it shorter.

Latest posts

Back