So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that the cold spell is over (for now), I plan to brew a NE IPA on Monday since I have the day off. Temps are suppose to be in the teen's so I better take advantage of it! I scored 2lbs of Belma hops for free, so I think I will do a blend of Citra/Amarillo/Belma for this brew.

Managed a brew day Monday, just an 11 gallon batch of my "house" ale all my friends love. Need to get a batch of lager brewed next... next time temps are above 25 and I won't freeze the garden hose solid!

Gonna get another foot of snow on Friday night, so for the first time I'll be brewing up my new recipe. A Great Lakes Chillwave inspired double IPA with Mosaic, Nugget and Cascade hops. 9% abv, ~80 ibu's

Last edited:
I had surgery on my achilles two weeks ago, so I’m sidelined for a while. Got plenty of recipes I’m eager to brew. Nothing but podcasts and hopeful thinking for a while.

Wasn't planning to, but since I'll be in the garage cleaning up at friday night anyway might as well put a pot boiling since I got a vacant fermentor and all the ingredients. Might do a second batch of gringo but with bolder hops as the first one was mainly brewed for my wife/sister/her husband, could possibly school the aforementioned in beer tasting in the process.

Planning on getting up early tomorrow and getting a Kölsch going. I'm wanting to use up the last of the Nelson Sauvin from last year. I haven't brewed in a good while so I'm definitely looking forward to it. :D

I will brew a closet red IPA tonight. Basically trying to get rid of all the malts and hops I got flying around here to make some space. Red x, 2 different crystals, lager malt, bohemian pilsener, munich, flaked barley, a dash of carafa2, and a bit of spelt malt combined with admiral for bittering and simcoe and green bullet as aroma additions. I think I will skip the dry hopping, but if there are going to be leftovers from Simcoe or green bullet, I will reconsidder it.

Planning on getting up early tomorrow and getting a Kölsch going. I'm wanting to use up the last of the Nelson Sauvin from last year. I haven't brewed in a good while so I'm definitely looking forward to it. :D

Nelson sauvin in a Kolsch?! I likey.

Chilling a NEIPA. Will have 10oz hops for 3.5gal when all is said and done. HB gin/lime Gose to help kill time.
20180112_134506_Film1.jpg

Just realized this is my first brew for the year, so cheers to that! I'm currently mashing iteration 4 of my I.M.P. imperial mock pilsner ale shooting for about 6.5% and 50 ibus. Pilsner malt, saaz and spalt hops in this batch, fermenting with white labs kolsch yeast. After primary fermentation it's going to "lager" in the cold basement for about 2-3 weeks before bottling, should be super crisp and drinkable. Salud ladies and gents

Brewed a batch of the house beer, a 4% ordinary bitter. Also transferred a batch of NEIPA with Citra, Mosaic, and Galaxy from a dry hop keg to a serving keg. Carbing up now and really looking forward to tasting this one...smells amazing!

edit: Also canning some starter wort....gotta get in as much as I can before baby #2 comes next month!

Last edited:
I brewed two Lagers back to back this week when I had a break in the weather. That's all I can get in the fermentation chamber.

I just realized how close the Super Bowl is and if I didn't get brewing I'd have very limited offerings for a party! Next planned brew was to be a split saison with WLP644 Saccharomyces Brux Trois (because apparently it's NOT brett!) And WLP590 French Saison, but I need something clean too for the BMC/ not saison drinkers! So now it's going to be a 3 or 4 way split with US-05 & 34/70 thrown into the mix as well. This should be a very interesting yeast experiment!

Brewed up a NEIPA today. Using WLP644 for the first time, quite excited to see how it performs. Will hit the primary with a citra/nelson/galaxy dry hop in a coupe of days.

Havent brewed since March 2017! I brewed an IPA and also a small 1.040 oatmeal coffee stout from a 2nd mash that I added a few lbs of grain to. Then boiled them inside and did a "no chill" on the deck since my hose bibs are still winterized. It was in the teens with a nice breeze so they cooled to pitching temps within a few hours. Nailed all my numbers too.
It's good to be back brewing again!

IMG_20180114_134800_060.jpg
IMG_20180114_160748_168.jpg

How early do you wake up to start? I'm always on the fence if I should wake up super early or stay up late to brew. It's usually the latter but these days I kind of wouldn't mind brewing when the sun comes up.

I’m about to mash in my NE IPA. Got the water a little too warm, but I’ll roast some coffee beans and check it again in 15 mins or so. Being that it’s 14 degree Fahrenheit outside it should drop it for me with just a little time.

How early do you wake up to start? I'm always on the fence if I should wake up super early or stay up late to brew. It's usually the latter but these days I kind of wouldn't mind brewing when the sun comes up.
Personally I've learned to brew early 7 or 8am. 1st off chances of being wasted are minimized. Also, I've ran onto issues brewing and be up till 1am when 11pm was planned, which is no fun when you've spent the evening "sampling". [emoji6]

1st faux sour attempt. Using WL644...and beet juice.
20180116_103257_Film1.jpg

I'm self employed. If I say it's the weekend, it's the weekend.

I had some leftover ingredients that I thought I should find a use for. I did this last month and brewed a Wheat Pale Ale which I kegged and force carbed yesterday. That turned out quite well. So, I thought I should clean out the cupboard.

I ended up with 5.5 lbs of 2-row and half a pound of Caramel Crystal 60. In my odds and ends in the keg fridge I came up with some Magnum and Willamette hops and an 18 month old smack pack of Wyeast 2112. After playing with numbers in both Beersmith and Brewer's Friend I went with a 3-gallon batch of Pale Ale.

I didn't watch the boil as closely as I should have. Boiling a relatively small amount in a 10-gallon kettle goes a bit faster than one might expect. I ended up with 2.5 in the fermenter instead of 3.0, but was a lot higher on the OG as a result.

The outdated smack pack had bloated nicely by pitching time. There should be enough viable yeast for a small batch.

This may not turn out to be the greatest beer ever brewed, but it was a good way to spend an afternoon indoors and warm on a cold day.

Mark

Want to do a Black IPA... if the Special Roast arrives. If not I'll tinker with new brew kettle and clean stuff, and "sample" some previous brews. lol

Back