So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed 5 gallons of pale ale this morning and I'm on the last hour of a three hour boil on an american barleywine (mashed two 1.050 5 gallon beers and I'm reducing the two beers into a single monstrous one). I'll still have to do a 30 minute hop stand with half a pound of hops though.

im doing a kern river citra clone-ish. it called for 6oz of honey malt, i accidentally milled 1.3 lbs and mixed it in the other grains. guess it will still be tasty, though. :)

Brewed my first batch in 2 years (had a kid)

A variation of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Partial mashed and bittered with Columbus. Overshot my volume so ended up at 1.046 instead of my planned 1.050.

Fermenting in my outside fridge with San Diego Super Yeast. Cheers!

Did my first all grain last night... OG was supposed to come in at 1.079 and I came in at 1.070. Growing pains :)

Did my first AG today.

Last time I brewed, I did a PM and got around 65% efficiency, so I figured I should have about the same efficiency. Nope. Last time I brewed, I had a boiloff of 1 gallon/hr, so I figured I should have about the same boiloff rate. Nope.

I got a 75% efficiency and a 1.3 gal/hr boiloff. So I was really going mad on Excel trying to figure what volume I should add/have at the end. I decided to increase the volume by adding water (larger batch volume to compensate for bigger efficiency + bigger boiloff ) and to increase the amount of hops (to compensate for the bigger batch volume). I forgot to add my immersion chiller @ 15 minutes... but I remembered @ 10... My thermometer got stuck for about 1-2 minutes, so my mashout was @ 177 instead of 170 so I removed the grain as fast as possible when I realized that (probably was at 177 for max 2 min).

And I think a minute amount of the black dust forming under my kettle while it is used went into my beer.

I just started heating water for a British style IPA-not too strong with lots of Fuggles and Goldings. I'll use that yeast cake for an oatmeal stout, then I'll pitch a robust porter onto that yeast cake in about a month.

I'm about to start the sparge process on my attempt at a Yellow Rose clone. I'm using 12# pilsner malt and plenty of mosaic hops.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413251521.759366.jpg made my gran cru and an English mild. Very happy with how clear this batch of gran cru turned out

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Busy three day weekend. A friendship brew on Sat for a club fruit or veg competition, bottled two versions of a cider and brewed up an extract golden strong base to use a homemade rhubarb/blackberry syrup in. Almost sound like a brewer now. :D

brewing 10 gallons of American stout this afternoon and picking up 10 gallons of fresh crushed grapes tonight for my first wine batch.

I just brewed the all grain version of T-Can and Bearcat's Wheaten Beatdown this past Sunday. It was a beautiful, sunny, perfectly coolish-warm fall day in Minnesota!

Brewed a Pliny the Elder clone. 12.5 gallons in the fermenter. 17 gallon boil in a 20 gallon pot. A little worried - watched that boil like a hawk. Ended up with 1.075 - right on the money. Pitched a crap-ton of yeast from 2 smack-paks in a 4 liter starter last night at 5pm. Blowing strong at 7am when I left the house.

Should be ready to drink by mid-November. It will likely be consumed in it's entirety at an annual neighborhood flag football game in December - if it lasts that long, heh, heh.

I'm planning a 6 gal AG batch of Stone's Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. It should be a beast! 23 lbs of grain & an OG of 1.099!

Planning on brewing an apa for my wife's bday coming up. Looking fwd to a brew day, finally!

Boiling a saison that I did a partial sour mash on. Sunday I am brewing up a Baltic porter.

My daughter's wedding was this past weekend and we drank ALL the beer. A nut brown ale, Edwort's Haus Cascade PA, and an ESB.

Started replenishing with a Terrapin Rye PA clone yesterday and will be doing a Bee Cave Robust Porter tomorrow, followed by a Zombie Dust clone and another ESB to get the pipeline restarted.

Want to have the Porter ready for Thanksgiving, so gotta get it going.

-g

Should be able to squeeze something in this weekend. I'm right out of IPA, so that's clearly a contender for being made. Also been tempted to whip up that Centennial Blonde that people are always talking about. Still have a bit of time to think about it.

I'm brewing an IPA with unknown hops from the neighbors' yard tonight. Pretty standard malt bill and Chico yeast, so I can let the hops shine through.

Going to attempt to get two five gallon stouts from an RIS grain bill of 23#'s! Makes for a long brew day but I'm up for it...

If the weather's crappy I'll be brewing. If it's not, then I'll be busy tearing up the yard for next years garden.

Today's my weekend; I'm working Saturday and Sunday. I'm getting ready to brew a saison; basically channel66's Shipwreck Saison with Belle Saison yeast.

But first I have to go buy a thermometer. A couple of weeks ago I borrowed the one that's normally stuck through the side of my cooler mash tun, and stuck it in the top of a tri-tip instead. Went to get a beer when the tri-tip was half-done. When I got back the meat was charred black, and the thermometer was toast.:drunk:

Never had a grease fire grilling a tri-tip before. On the other hand, I never grilled a 4 1/2 pound tri-tip before. :) Surprisingly, the meat was still good; just a hair past the medium-rare stage I like. I just had to trim the charred outside off each piece as I sliced it.

Having 4 of 5 buddies over since our wives are having a girls weekend. Gonna bottle 10 gal of esb and Reload the fermenters w 10 gal of Citra blonde. A few guys are wanting to learn and the weather is beautiful!!!!

Oh, also smoking 2 Boston butts for dinner as well!!!

Deacon.

Im making a south pacific pale ale as we speak. 4 kg of pale 2 row, 1 kg of malted wheat with cascade and nelson sauvin for aroma.
Then got a leg of pork going on the spit with a ginger and paprika marinade.

I will be making my Holiday brew on Sat, a All Grain version of a Corsendonk Christmas Ale I brewed last year.

Bottling my tart cherry oaked Quad, 10.48%, tonight.

Brewing a pumpkin ale in the morning.

Sent from my magic box, using only my thumbs.

Kegged 2 x 5 gallon batches of pumpkin ales last weekend, brewing up 2 Christmas/holiday recipes today!

Fresh roasted pumpkin from a local orchard. It's in the mash.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413650417.072307.jpg

Sent from my magic box, using only my thumbs.

Brewing up 5 gallons of Gingerbread Brown as we speak, just started boiling. Hit my mash temp and pre-boil gravity PERFECTLY, which is something I struggled with on my Hefeweizen two weeks ago and all my brews two years ago. Super excited for this one.

20141018_144138.jpg

Brewed 5 gallons of stout in one of the most nightmarish brew session since I have started 4 years ago:

- I Had trouble stirring the grain in the tun since it was so full and burned myself.
- I didn't hit my mash temp.
- I decided to brew on the covered patio instead of the side of the house since the forecast was rain, but the day ended up hot as hell with sun and the patio became overrun with japanese ladybugs who wanted to get in the wort and/or house.
- There's no running water on the patio, so I had to rig all kind of hoses to plug my wort chiller.
- Gravity ended up 10 points too low (I thought my crush looked funny, but didn't crush a second time).
- My mother in law was there the whole day.

Let's hope the beer turns out, altough the "IBU/SG ratio" and "alone time/mother in law was there" ratio of this brew are all out of whack.

Back