So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got to building up the pipeline again on Saturday.

Brewed an (almost) SMaS*H Festbier.

100% Locally Malted Vienna (Rustic Brew Farms in Ohio)

Used 2mL YVH CO2 extract as a 45m bittering addition.

German/Hallertau Tradition: 2oz at 10m and 2oz a F.O.

Using NovaLager under pressure again. Got up to 5psi within 6hrs after pitching- I love this yeast.

Can't turn back now... grain is milled, hops are measured.

A British Strong Ale of Sorts. Getting rid of a few remnants of this and that.

~1.070
55IBU

87% Golden Promise
5% Baird's Carastan 30/37
3% Briess Aromatic Munich 20
2% Paul's Crystal 65
1% Caramunich II
1% Belgian Biscuit

FWH 9IBU French Fuggle
FWH 8IBU Cluster
FWH 8IBU Mittlefrue
60m 17IBU Cluster
30m 12IBU EKG

Wet hopped Kolsch. 15 minutes away from second addition.
IMG_9723.jpeg

Last edited:
Waiting on the strike to heat up for a black lager I'm brewing for our club's Iron Brewer competition. Has to have brown sugar or molasses as an ingredient, I'm going with molasses. And, given the sad news we got yesterday, I'm going to name it Bracc in Black, in memory of a dear friend.

Waiting on the strike to heat up for a black lager I'm brewing for our club's Iron Brewer competition. Has to have brown sugar or molasses as an ingredient, I'm going with molasses. And, given the sad news we got yesterday, I'm going to name it Bracc in Black, in memory of a dear friend.
Since I'm somewhat of an idiot, I skipped the Carafa III called for in the recipe I used (replaced it with the molasses), and it's now more of a 'brown' than a 'black'. So maybe now it can be Brown is the New Bracc. Also weighed the molasses instead of using a measuring cup, so it maybe got 4oz instead of the 6oz I was going for (molasses level in the 12oz jar attests to that). Smelled absolutely fabulous on the boil, and is now finishing chilling in the ferment fridge; plate chiller only got it down to 83 this morning. Can't wait for winter brewing to start, chill in less than five minutes down to 60.

Putting in a grain order to rite brew today for a Kolsch. I saved yeast from my last batch. Friday or Saturday I should be filling the basement brewery with the sweet smell of malt!
Well, it's Sunday and brew day started almost an hour ago - mash is almost done.

Not many nice days left around here so I need to take advantage of them. Even today I should be outside but maybe between brewing tasks (not the boil though).

Well, it's Sunday and brew day started almost an hour ago - mash is almost done.

Not many nice days left around here so I need to take advantage of them. Even today I should be outside but maybe between brewing tasks (not the boil though).
Just finished wort chilling, having a beer then it's cleanup and pitching the yeast.
Another grueling but fun brew day!

Brewed a California Common this past weekend. Tonight I am quick carbing an Amber lager, kegging a cider and bottling some of my Czech Pils for comps. Off to Munich for a week for Oktoberfest Saturday, so tomorrow night I will quick carb the cider, then by Thursday bottle some of that and the Amber Lager for comps. Then when I get back, do same to the Common....lots of comps to ship out to the first week of October!

All I currently have on tap is a hefeweizen and the wee heavy I brewed for last month's club competition, so it behooves me to make something today. House cream ale getting ready to boil now, and debating with myself how I'm going to ferment it; low and slow, or high and superfastunderpressure? Thinking of the high and fast method, will get a good beer in a week, also it's fun.

Monday, actually.

I've taken Lil Sparky's Nut Brown and boosted it to mid 60's, low 70's.. (high 60's for this brew). 5th iteration.

Great recipe!

I've swapped the flavor hops - 30 mins EKG as bittering, 1..5 oz Fuggle at 15 mins for flavor. (Love Fuggle in a brown ale), BU:GU = 0.37, mash at 151F. Also, i cut the oatmeal in half as I'm a little sensitive to oatmeal. 1/2 oatmeal,1/2 flaked barley (nice for foamy head). That works for me.

Attempting a Bass clone today :

Grain bill is :
6 lbs Maris Otter
.75 lbs flaked corn
6 oz Crystal 60L
2 oz Gambrinus Honey
2 oz. Roasted barley
Hop schedule is :
.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 60
0.50 oz EKG @ 30
0.50 oz EKG @ 15
Nottingham yeast
.75 tsp Irish Moss @ 15

Have never used Nottingham yeast before, but everyone on HBT seems to love it, so I'm hoping that the ambient temps here in Jersey for the next 2 weeks favor it.
Cheers!

Does sorachi ace still throw a lot of dill notes? I haven’t used it or had a beer with it in probably 5 years.

I'm now two IPA's into using Sorachi Ace. I've decided that the taste doesn't really fit with any of the C hops. It sticks out like a sore thumb. No more SA in IPA's for me.

I'm now two IPA's into using Sorachi Ace. I've decided that the taste doesn't really fit with any of the C hops. It sticks out like a sore thumb. No more SA in IPA's for me.
I def don’t disagree. I always felt like it was far better suited for lite lagers at low rates and Saisons

If my order arrives I'll be brewing Friday a Black Double IPA (Harry Potter inspired) for a Halloween Competition.
I love black ipas. When the hops balance with the malt right it’s a great beer. I usually use the old school c hops for my black ipas and a touch of citra or Amarillo to brighten the character a touch.

Though this beer is not a black ipa, it’s just a hoppy black ale, Allagash Haunted House just came out and its terrific. If you have that beer in distro by you I def suggest getting it. It will give you a nice idea of a base for your beer

Back