So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started mashing a Session IPA while drinking a Shock Top clone.

Attachments

• 16924007050063343327092090740356.jpg
    16924007050063343327092090740356.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
5E80D946-4D14-4A82-8BCE-3103760469C6.jpeg

Got after it today- though a little late in the evening. Still cooling down at 830 here in Ohio.
Haven’t brewed all summer due to broken ankle. SWMBO put the whammy on brewing since I broke my ankle.

Made what I dubb “lime lite lager” inspired by someone here who posted a recipe with lime zest and adding simply limeaid to the fermenter.

This is my 3rd or 4th rendition of this beer in some form, and it has always been my wife’s favorite.

75% locally malted Vienna and 25% white wheat malt, Mandarina Bavaria and lemondrop hops.

Using NovaLager this time, and pressure fermenting in a ‘zilla.

Welp, My brew weekend was canceled! Due to the 4 inches of rain we got in one hour on Friday morning. I spent the weekend ripping out the carpet in my basement office, pulling down 12 inches of drywall, and a whole lot of sucking up water!

Doesn't look good for next weekend either! Installing purple board and going with vinyl tile this time!

Global warming doesn't exist... BS!

If everything goes Nothing went right, my Assistent Braulein and I will be brewing up some HobYob Amber this next Friday.

Fermentables​

Total grain: 12.375 lb
NameTypeAmountMashedLateYieldColor
Briess - 2 Row Brewers MaltGrain6.000 lbYesNo80%1.8 srm
Briess - Munich Malt 10LGrain3.000 lbYesNo77%10.0 srm
Briess - Munich Malt 20LGrain2.000 lbYesNo74%20.0 srm
Briess - Wheat Malt, WhiteGrain1.000 lbYesNo85%2.5 srm
Corn Sugar (Dextrose)Sugar6.000 ozNoNo100%0.0 srm

Hops​

NameAlphaAmountUseTimeFormIBU
Northern Brewer9.0%1.000 ozBoil46.000 minPellet27.1
Saaz (Czech Republic)4.5%1.000 ozBoil5.000 minPellet2.9

Yeast​

NameTypeFormAmountStage
Safale S-05AleDry2.23 tspPrimary

Last edited:
Since my 3-day SuperHighPressure lager experiment turned out so well, today I'm doing the same thing but with my house cream ale recipe. Still gonna use 34/70, so not technically an 'ale'; I'm not brave enough to try this method with something like Notty. Tomorrow that very same lager is going on the road to our annual FF Draft Day party, at exactly one week from brewing it. Having a rough time keeping myself from drinking on it, it's that good.

Lager was well received at draft party yesterday; to the point that I realized I'm getting low on the others. Trying something today that I haven't done in a few years; a 10g batch, split between two boil kettles, that will get different hops and yeast. It's a bit complicated to do (I have two burners, a 14g kettle, a 15g kettle, and my old aluminum 12g kettle); but I have it all mapped out in my notes and hoping for success. Mashing the whole thing in my 15g kettle, will drain 1st runnings into the 12g. 14g has the sparge water in it, will drain all of that into the mash, then run half of the 1st runnings back into the 14. Split half the sparge out into the 14, then pump the rest of the 1st runnings back into the 15. Thank heavens for a good pump. Stupid hot day to brew though. One will be a NEIPA done with Mosaic, the other a simple blonde with Saaz.

I'm planning to start a Kentucky Common tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to try Lallemand Koln yeast for the first time.
I didn't get to brew yesterday, but I've started it today. I've done the cereal mash and weighed-out and ground the rest of the grain. It's a little too hot to start right now, but should be cooling off in an hour or so.

Two pounds of cornmeal (about 1/2 pound of it was masa flour just to use it up) in a gallon of water with a cup of the ground pilsner malt. It was trying so hard to stick and burn at first even over low heat and stirring almost constantly. When it reached 150°F I turned off the fire and put a lid on it and let it rest for about 15 minutes. After that, I was able to heat it to a full boil over high heat with just occasional stirring. (malt is magic)

Brewing this years wet hop ale

Wet hop cold ipa (20 min boil)
-6 lbs Pilsner lite dme
-4 lbs rice solid crystals

Yeast: 2 packs of 34/70 run at 60*f

Hotside
-1 oz mosaic @20
-.5 oz Columbus @20

0.5 oz Columbus @ F.O.
O.5 oz mosaic @ FO

Whirlpool @ 160 for 30
13 oz fresh whole cone Columbus
10 oz of fresh whole cone cascade

Dryhop:
TBA - plan is for 100% fresh whole cone cashmere. If I don’t have the weight I’m hoping for I’ll supplement with some cashmere or mosaic LUPOMAX
5BD13145-7245-47DB-A375-4B6AC052C4EE.jpeg
C956E220-3984-447C-BDE7-92A49372C5F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Im still digging hop cones and pieces out of my pump and drain from doing this last weekend :cool:

-6 lbs Pilsner lite dme

Hotside
-1 oz mosaic @20
-.5 oz Columbus @20

0.5 oz Columbus @ F.O.
O.5 oz mosaic @ FO

Whirlpool @ 160 for 30

Dryhop:
TBA - plan is for 100% fresh whole cone cashmere. If I don’t have the weight I’m hoping for I’ll supplement with some cashmere or mosaic LUPOMAX View attachment 828110View attachment 828112

Im still digging hop cones and pieces out of my pump and drain from doing this last weekend :cool:
Before I transfer, I use a weighted screen, pretty much a false bottle, and I place it in the kettle and push it down to compress the whole cones to the bottom. Has helped greatly with that

Nice! Planning to use my homegrown columbus this weekend. Trying a black ipa this year. Picked up a used Bilchman hop rocket last year & will finally try it out fir the first time.

-6 lbs Pilsner lite dme

Hotside
-1 oz mosaic @20
-.5 oz Columbus @20

0.5 oz Columbus @ F.O.
O.5 oz mosaic @ FO

Whirlpool @ 160 for 30

Dryhop:
TBA - plan is for 100% fresh whole cone cashmere. If I don’t have the weight I’m hoping for I’ll supplement with some cashmere or mosaic LUPOMAX View attachment 828110View attachment 828112

Nice! Planning to use my homegrown columbus this weekend. Trying a black ipa this year. Picked up a used Bilchman hop rocket last year & will finally try it out fir the first time.
A Columbus wet hop black ipa Sounds like a match made in heaven to me

Back