So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing a Czech Dark Saturday at my club's Big Brew day. It's for NHC finals, so going to have to fast ferment this one. Was so sure my NY Pils would be the one of two beers to advance at NHC, based on results from prior comps, I brewed that one over a month ago...so now I am stuck in rush mode for the Dark.

Brewing a Czech Dark Saturday at my club's Big Brew day. It's for NHC finals, so going to have to fast ferment this one. Was so sure my NY Pils would be the one of two beers to advance at NHC, based on results from prior comps, I brewed that one over a month ago...so now I am stuck in rush mode for the Dark.
Weird, so are we. Fifty gallons that we’re going to split between 10 members.

Now that I have my mill figured out, I hope to brew a Dunkel and a Cold IPA this weekend. It's been a while.
... except the kid's baseball schedule has thrown a wrench in the works. Won't know until 9 tonight if he is playing at 12:30 or 3:45 - either way, it doesn't look like I can fit a brew day in :(

Was going to brew up the house blonde ale tomorrow, but I have everything for the BBD recipe this year (SNPA clone), and thinking of doing that instead. I tried a similar recipe last year that was pretty good.

Hoping to brew up a session IPA this weekend. Summer and then fall tailgate season I was to find a good low ABV option to have on tap.
Ok I'm in for the weekend. Not sure if Saturday or Sunday. Going to prep tonight. Focus for this brew (besides making a great session tailgate beer) is think through my brew timing and try to get more time efficient. The last couple brews took longer than I would have liked. Part of that is going to be getting everything ready ahead so I start out almost immediately at mash start on brew day.

One potential limit to this according to my app my inventory is a couple pounds short on white wheat malt. I'm pretty sure I just forgot to log a recent shipment properly, but that could add a wrinkle. I'll probably still brew it and adjust with some other grain I have on hand but will make it a bit different than planned.

Hank's Hefeweizen in the ale pale right now. Only took 3 hours start to finish and it was like riding a bike. 9 years later and after brushing up on my technique online I have it in the fermenter. Now I just gotta wait 2-3 weeks, then bottle condition for 2 weeks more before I can try it... *sob

signal-2023-05-06-200541_002.jpeg

Brewing up a Red English ale, might throw in some spruce tips since the tree has them out now.
And a Red DIPA.
To get ready, had to bottle and transfer last night, my least favorite part of brewing.
But 2 brews I last made and had a chance to taste out of primary, a DIPA with Enigma at 7 min to flameout (highly recommend, gives nice full hop mouthfeel).
Also transferring my first peanut butter stout to corney, had a chance to taste. Could taste peanuts (used 6.5 oz of powder) end of boil.
But, the chocolate flavor in the stout overpowered it, so boiled water with 2 oz of PB powder, cooled and added to keg. Hopefully it'll balance out better, But worried PB traub won't clog the diptube as the primary had PB traub in it, more than I thought.

BBD SNPA clone yesterday went very well; it's chugging away. So today I'm brewing up the new House cream ale. First one was absolutely yummy, and I want more. Also dipping my toes into the fascinating concept of fermenting in a keg. I have the means to transfer to a serving keg later if I want to. And I just want to see if it works. I'm not keen on the idea of cutting a diptube, so I'll just purge a pint or two when it's time to transfer. Didn't get to LHBS yesterday to get more flaked corn, so I stopped at the store and bought some Bob's Red Mill coarse cornmeal to augment the 1.5lbs I had left. Looks almost the same so I think it will work.

BBD SNPA clone yesterday went very well; it's chugging away. So today I'm brewing up the new House cream ale. First one was absolutely yummy, and I want more. Also dipping my toes into the fascinating concept of fermenting in a keg. I have the means to transfer to a serving keg later if I want to. And I just want to see if it works. I'm not keen on the idea of cutting a diptube, so I'll just purge a pint or two when it's time to transfer. Didn't get to LHBS yesterday to get more flaked corn, so I stopped at the store and bought some Bob's Red Mill coarse cornmeal to augment the 1.5lbs I had left. Looks almost the same so I think it will work.
Cook the cornmeal first (a cereal mash.) Your flakes have the starch gelatinized already, but the cornmeal will not. (If you get "instant" cornmeal/polenta/grits/whatever then it is also gelatinized.)

Alternately, save the cornmeal for dinner and augment your flakes with straight sugar. You will probably not notice the difference.

Fermenting in kegs is great. I highly recommend a floating dip tube for future batches (and specifically, this one.) Purging that pint or two is fine in theory but in practice that pint or two can gunk up your out post something fierce.

I have never experienced a problem with clogging up the out tube but I do use a dip tube shortened by one inch. There again I only ferment in Sanke kegs. I agree with Alex if you intend to ferment in a Corny I suggest a floating dip tube.

Cook the cornmeal first (a cereal mash.) Your flakes have the starch gelatinized already, but the cornmeal will not. (If you get "instant" cornmeal/polenta/grits/whatever then it is also gelatinized.)

Alternately, save the cornmeal for dinner and augment your flakes with straight sugar. You will probably not notice the difference.

Fermenting in kegs is great. I highly recommend a floating dip tube for future batches (and specifically, this one.) Purging that pint or two is fine in theory but in practice that pint or two can gunk up your out post something fierce.
I do have a couple of floating dip tubes for my pressure lids, but I don't have an extra short gas-in diptube; so I'm just going to run with what I've got. The thing that is freaking me out, is I'm always nervous when my volume gets too low in the BK. Sitting at 5g right now 5 minutes before flameout, and I'm nervous as hell. It will be beer I know that, but everything I've done the last 5 years is tumbling down around my ears.

Too late to cook the cornmeal; I just dumped it in with the rest. I did do a longer mash at 152, so I'm hoping for goodness here. I've got 2 months before this beer needs to be dialled in for an upcoming competition, so I can improve (if needed) on the next one; first one tapped less than a week ago is almost gone, it's that good.

Too late to cook the cornmeal; I just dumped it in with the rest. I did do a longer mash at 152, so I'm hoping for goodness here. I've got 2 months before this beer needs to be dialled in for an upcoming competition, so I can improve (if needed) on the next one; first one tapped less than a week ago is almost gone, it's that good.
Buttoned up in the ferment fridge, from preboil of 1.040 I wound up with 1.075 SG, holy crap. Bit disappointed that I don't get to watch the fermentation (didn't I see somewhere clear kegs for sale???), but I'm looking forward to crisper beer out of it.

I *just* started a SMaSH beer with Vienna malt and Tradition hops; about 18 IBU. I will ferment it with Munich Classic yeast. If I were using Pilsner malt with a little Munich this would be a Dampfbier (German "steam beer"), although the bitterness for that should be 15 or a little less.

Just finished a re-brew of a Scottish Ale. The original one I brewed back in November, but it never came around to anything near decent. I'm pretty sure that one was yeast related. I built a two step starter that volcano'd all over. I'm pretty sure it ended up under-pitched and stressed. Today's should be fine though. (Hopefully).

I *just* started a SMaSH beer with Vienna malt and Tradition hops; about 18 IBU. I will ferment it with Munich Classic yeast. If I were using Pilsner malt with a little Munich this would be a Dampfbier (German "steam beer"), although the bitterness for that should be 15 or a little less.
That was my quickest brew day ever (except for when I do no-boil beers, and it wasn't that much longer than they are) Wife was going to be gone for 3.5 hours and I wanted to be done when she got back because she *hates* the smells of brewing (or pretends to). I got the grain weighed and milled this morning. Found all my equipment, etc. this afternoon. A half hour before she left I got the water ready. I wasted about 20 minutes by overshooting the strike temperature and had to cool the liquor down, then overshot a little on the way down too and had to heat it up again. 😂 That was the only gaffe. When she walked in the door, the wort was in the bucket, the kettle was washed and put away, and I had most of the mess cleaned up.
It sounds stressful but it wasn't because I was prepared for a change. :ban: I'd still prefer having an extra hour, but I get these 3 or 3.5 hours windows a lot more often than I get a whole day or even a half day.

Brewing a English Mild Ale right now. Thought I'd make a recipe I read about in BYO called "Hold The Reins" mild. It won a gold in the GABF awhile back. Supposed to have tons of flavor and not watery for such a light beer and keep the drinkers interest. Good enough for me to try! Have a great weekend everyone!

John

Wife was going to be gone for 3.5 hours and I wanted to be done when she got back because she *hates* the smells of brewing (or pretends to).
My wife won't touch a drop of beer, but she loves the smell of me brewing in the kitchen. She says it smells like I'm baking bread. Except for rauchbier. "Are you brewing bacon beer?" "Well, sort of..."

The kids, however, complain bitterly when I brew.

Back