So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my first batch on the brewzilla today. My efficiency was crap, but that's what I figured. Estimated og was 1.055, actual was 1.040. Tested with 3 separate hydrometers and 1 cheap refrac at a sample temp on 77°f.

Oh well. All old ingredients from before my hiatus, hence the name Stale Ale/Stale Pale.

Either way, I'm just happy to be back at it, and the efficiency issue will just need tweaks. Also got to make some room in the hop storage part of me freezer. All in I added just enough magnum for 45 ibus at 60 and 2oz each Citra, El Dorado and moutere which was a combo I had been planning on before buying a house and letting 2 years get by me.

Feels good.

P.s: I know the issues with the hop spider, looking into better methods there as well.
IDK how you transfer to the fermenter, but one recommendation would be to put the the hops loose into the boil then place the racking cane into the strainer to transfer once cooled.

Does this count for brewing? My 1st shot at Lemoncello. Luckily Texas sells 190proof. Calculation says I should get 10-750ml bottles from 1.75l 190proof, then 1.75l simple syrup and then cut that to 23%. Used 24 organic lemons but have a feeling I'll need extract for a stronger flavor.

PXL_20230418_211321117.jpg
PXL_20230419_035907074~2.jpg

IDK how you transfer to the fermenter, but one recommendation would be to put the the hops loose into the boil then place the racking cane into the strainer to transfer once cooled.
I've been using the recirc arm and the pump.

I did run my second batch on it and just threw the hops in loose. I know some people had issues with that clogging the pump, but I didn't have any issues. I think in the future I'll keep it loose, but for anything heavily hopped I'll just whirlpool it manually for a minute before kicking on the whirlpool arm. I've been attaching it anyway to hands free stir the wort past the IC anyway.

I'm not sure if they worked out the pump clog issue (haven't had a problem yet) but being careful never killed good beer

Because I'm a bit bored today, brewing a 2.5g batch of the same cream ale I did yesterday; this one will go on Lutra instead of Notty, for a bit of an experiment. Also I want it done faster; it smelled so good on the boil yesterday, and the yeast farts coming from the blowoff bottle in the ferment fridge smell divine. Lutra can ferment in the house, so I might have this one ready to tap by next weekend.

Split Batch Saturday. a Jalapeno cream ale based on Sundowners recipe and a Fiery Hell (Surly) attempt. Just did a mini mash with the corn and Vienna to add after I split off the helles. the base beer is in the BK, almost done. After, I split, add the mini mash, I plan to boil the jalapeños And chill the cream ale. first time doing a split like this so looking forward to seeing how these come out.

Yesterday I brewed up my first attempt at a Berliner Weisse, with Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and Lemondrop hops.

This was my second batch on my Anvil Foundry, after switching from propane. It went much smoother than my first.

View attachment 818567
Tasting my first attempt on my AiO, and I missed almost every metric I was aiming for besides volume. Beer still tastes great by my biased as hell palette.

I'm really interested in trying a kettle sour on mine. Are you going that route, or using one of the hip new lacto producing yeasts? Regardless, I have a pack of each and I'm also looking at a kettle sour option, just curious what route you're taking on it.

I'm really interested in trying a kettle sour on mine. Are you going that route, or using one of the hip new lacto producing yeasts?
I'm using the Philly Sour yeast on this one. But unless it turns out exceptional (which I'm not expecting), I'm going to try a kettle sour on the second iteration. My local brewery makes my favorite example of a Berliner Weisse, and the owner was kind enough to give me his procedure for it. He also adds Brettanomyces.

I'm using the Philly Sour yeast on this one. But unless it turns out exceptional (which I'm not expecting), I'm going to try a kettle sour on the second iteration. My local brewery makes my favorite example of a Berliner Weisse, and the owner was kind enough to give me his procedure for it. He also adds Brettanomyces.
From what I've heard, it needs some simple sugars in the front end. It does the lactic thing first and hits the complex stuff second.

After talking to the lhbs guys, I think it's easier overall to wrangle vs sourviviae. They recommend a copitch off rip with Voss with the latter.

But a kettle sour seems easy as hell with an AiO.

Going to brew up a Wit tomorrow. It's a beer I plan on sending to an upcoming competition and I need to fine-tune it. Also, the yeast slurry I'm going to use (Imperial Whiteout) has been in the fridge for a bit, need to freshen it up so it's still good when time comes to brew for competition.

Hopefully brewing a Sabro hazy pale tomorrow - trying to decide on the 2nd flavor / aroma hop. Bittering with Magnum. Any / all suggestions welcomed.
CITRA. Pairs very well with Sabro, will give a bit of a pina colada flavor depending on the yeast you use. I've had very good luck with it. And if you're using Magnum for bittering, go pretty light on it.

Hopefully brewing a Sabro hazy pale tomorrow - trying to decide on the
CITRA. Pairs very well with Sabro, will give a bit of a pina colada flavor depending on the yeast you use. I've had very good luck with it. And if you're using Magnum for bittering, go pretty light
2nd flavor / aroma hop. Bittering with Magnum. Any / all suggestions welcomed.

CITRA. Pairs very well with Sabro, will give a bit of a pina colada flavor depending on the yeast you use. I've had very good luck with it. And if you're using Magnum for bittering, go pretty light on it.
Seatazz,

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought 1oz of Rakau because it was on sale, but will use leftover Citra instead and hope that I have better luck with it in this Kveik hazy pale than I did with Citra / Mosaic / Galaxy in a similar beer last summer - this combo was supposedly bulletproof but just didn't work. I'll use the Rakau in an upcoming Lutra Pilsner.

Last edited:
So, with finally getting kegs, I also got a floating diptube and a spunding valve. Got a fizzy yellow beer recipe I threw together on Brewfather awhile back I need for around too, so I'm finally going to do it with 34/70 under pressure. Ideally I'd use pils in it as a base, but I'm still eating through 2 sacks of MO and I'd like to get at least half the buckets back for a different base.

Grain bill is simple:
80/20 MO/flaked corn to 1.046
Hops:
A bit of magnum at 60 and an oz of tettnanger at 30 and 10

Not trying to reinvent the wheel on this one, just using up ingredients and I'm mostly looking to try pressure fermentation. The plus side is I don't see anything wildly offensive in my own recipe, so the process side of the experiment should yield inoffensive beer

So, with finally getting kegs, I also got a floating diptube and a spunding valve. Got a fizzy yellow beer recipe I threw together on Brewfather awhile back I need for around too, so I'm finally going to do it with 34/70 under pressure. Ideally I'd use pils in it as a base, but I'm still eating through 2 sacks of MO and I'd like to get at least half the buckets back for a different base.

Grain bill is simple:
Hops:

Not trying to reinvent the wheel on this one, just using up ingredients and I'm mostly looking to try pressure fermentation. The plus side is I don't see anything wildly offensive in my own recipe, so the process side of the experiment should yield inoffensive beer
I prefer an English pale (like MO) in light lagers. There’s a fine line between “no strong flavors” and “no flavors” and I think a more characterful base malt keeps you on the right side of that.

I prefer an English pale (like MO) in light lagers. There’s a fine line between “no strong flavors” and “no flavors” and I think a more characterful base malt keeps you on the right side of that.
Good to hear. I want to do one as clean and, well, macro tasting as possible at some point. I'm still excited to finally start working with lager yeast.

Grain bill is simple:
Hops:

Indeed. Josh Weikert's latest recipe is a new take on the classic American Pale Ale. Note the use of Vienna as the base. And while he calls it an ale, he uses 34/70.

https://beerandbrewing.com/amp/recipe-la-nouvelle-american-pale-ale/

Planning a variant of the ABA big brew this weekend. Going to enhance the caramel 20L with ~ Vienna, probably @ 50% or 60/40 ratio. Perhaps dial back the Cascade hops w/ 60 min boil rather than 75 min. Also, 2.5 gal brown ale.

Our club, Foam on the Range is invading a member’s backyard to brew up the Big Brew recipe, Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale. Several members with supercharged propane burners and HB.. what can go wrong?
It puts me in the “Oh $h1t” zone as I’m an electric brewer so cross your fingers for me!

Back