So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m brewing Sunday. I have a starter of WLP566 going now. Plan is to reproduce Creature Comforts Table Beer as a test beer to tweak for a summer wedding of my good friend’s daughter.

Just hit my pre boil gravity and starting the boil now! To quote the Godfather of Soul...

"I feel good!"
- James Brown

Heavy honey braggot made with DME, been awhile since I've done an extract. The waiting on tasting this will be Memorial Day weekend, hopefully I can wait that long

I brewed an American Stout. This was a partial extract recipe kit from Ontario Beer Kegs. This was, for me, a step up. While I've sort of "hacked" Coopers kits by doing a hop addition or dry hopping or adding a better yeast, I had never used steeping grains before. The whole house smelled very yummy by the time it was into the primary.

16 hours after pitching the yeast, a krausen has started to form.

IMG_3169.jpg

Got my Margarita Gose in the can yesterday, this Sunday I will do an IPA with some combination of Sabro, Zappa, Pekko, or one of the Idaho hops. Have too much selection right now not to mix a couple of 'em and see how she goes.

It's a 3 day weekend coming up so I'm going to try and squeeze a brew in if I have time. I just brewed a CDA so maybe something else that's dark but not as hoppy to go with this cold weather. I just kicked an oatmeal stout that I miss... perhaps it will be a coffee variant of the same beer this weekend. We'll see!

I'm going to try a no-boil no-hops sour beer, using kveik yeast. A discussion in another thread piqued my interest. Just 3 gallons (if I had a 2 gallon carboy I'd do 2 gallons) in case it's terrible :D One gallon jug is too small for my brew jacket and temperature controller that I'll be using to maintain 95°.

Working on my 2nd kettle sour on Monday. The first one was a Mango sour and was okay, but nothing to really write home about. Tweaked the recipe and am doing a blueberry sour this time.

If the weather cooperates I'm going to try and do a double of Sat.. An all grain American Lager, and an extract Dead Ringer kit from NB. It's been a few months since my last brew session and i need to refill the pipeline.

Today: British Golden Ale with 85% Simpsons Maris Otter + 15% Weyermann Vienna | Nottingham | 65% EKG 2017 + 35% Topaz 2018 | 10.7 oz hops + NO dry hopping | 45 IBU | 5.7% ABV

Tomorrow: Vienna Lager with 92% Weyermann Vienna + 8% Castle Biscuit | W-34/70 | 65% DE Brewers Gold 2017 + 35% DE Comet 2017 | 10.7 oz hops + NO dry hopping | 35 IBU | 5.5% ABV

India Schwarzbier with 81% Weyermann Vienna + 7% BestMalz Black Malt + 7% Thomas Fawcett Roasted Rye + 5% Dark Muscovado Sugar | W-34/70 | 55% Topaz 2018 + 22.5% Waimea 2017 + 22.5% Rakau 2017 | 15.5 oz hops + Dry Hopping | 50 IBU | 6% ABV

I can't barely wait to brew these and drink in about 30 days from now.

I started a lacto culture tonight. I'll use some of it (unless it smells like vomit or goat or dirty diaper, etc) in the sour I'll brew this weekend. The rest will seed a sauergut reactor so I don't have to keep buying lactic and/or phosphoric acid to acidify my mash.

Considering doing my first AG BIAB
Just a SMASH with either Citra or Cascade to give the BIAB a go.
Have done AG using a picnic cooler a few years back but after a hiatus of 3 years have done an extract and a partial recently so will be a bit of a step.
But have all the gear and it looks pretty straight forward so not too worried about it

Considering doing my first AG BIAB
Just a SMASH with either Citra or Cascade to give the BIAB a go.
Have done AG using a picnic cooler a few years back but after a hiatus of 3 years have done an extract and a partial recently so will be a bit of a step.
But have all the gear and it looks pretty straight forward so not too worried about it
Good luck!

Waiting for my Vienna Lager to get down to pitching temperature for my Bayern lager yeast.

Heating up strike to do a Manny-ish clone. Only had 1lb of crystal 40 and some pilsner to sub in for dextrine, but will make it up with some extra two row and perhaps a reduction. One of those "don't need to brew, but nothing else to do so why not" brew days. And thinking/researching roasting my own malt now that I have my own mill and can buy it unmilled. There's a home-roasted porter or stout in my future, I'm thinking.

Six below. Irish red stout. It's slow going. Everything is stiff and fragile. Broke the fitting off a garden hose, so I had to move my chilling outside. Arg. This is probably the last brew I do this winer.

Brewing a Chocolate Milk Stout on the back lanai and right now I am in the middle of a sparge. This one will be on tap for St Patty's Day along with an Irish Red I am brewing next month. Beautiful winter day in Florida! 55 degrees and blue skies!

Cheers,

John

I did that no-boil ale Saturday. Before I got around to pitching the yeast (I wanted to give the lacto bugs a few hours head start), a wild fermentation started; guess I should have at least pasteurized it. I pitched the kveik yeast anyway and am holding the temperature at 95°. The airlock was bubbling furiously this morning.

Hopefully me. Originally planned to brew on Saturday, January 19th. Was going to make the Cream Ale I found on HBT. Tweaked for my setup. Unfortunately I woke at 3AM on Saturday with the flu. It's Monday and I'm still not 100%, but hoping/planning on brewing this Saturday.

Will be brewing my California common this weekend as I bought the hops for the recipe. When I take my grist to the lhbs for grinding (alas, no mill yet) I will pick up some final ingredients for a blonde stout.

I have an ambitious brewing schedule this year!

Today I'll be brewing a NEIPA with Belma/centennial/comet. Haven't seen anyone using Belma so I'm curious to see how the flavor works in an IPA. The recipe I'm using is similar to the one Clawhammer Supply used in their Juicy NEIPA video on YT. Time to get up and get the coffee started. Happy brewing everyone! [emoji481][emoji481]

Brewed a triple batch of an All-Grain Irish Stout recipe from Gordon Strong's "Modern Homebrew Recipes" book last Saturday. The garage ended up looking like the ice palace from the movie Dr. Zhivago. Next brewsession I hope to have the BrunDog mod from the "
Boil kettle condenser - no overhead ventilation needed" thread tested and in place to prevent this going forward.

Finished up a 10 gallon batch of a basic pale ale today. The NEIPA I brewed on Tuesday is flying right along (Right). Think I'm gonna need to have some buddies over to drink all this brew. [emoji481][emoji481][emoji106][emoji51]
IMG_20190125_000006.jpeg

Back