So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cranked out the first brew in my new galley brewery today, had a couple of teething issues with infrastructure but fixed them up quickly enough and kept on chugging.

ab_25feb2018_01.jpg

ab_25feb2018_02.jpg

ab_25feb2018_03.jpg

ab_25feb2018_04.jpg

10 gallons of the BYO Julius clone safely in one of the ferm fridges...

ab_25feb2018_05.jpg

Cheers!

Cranked out the first brew in my new galley brewery today, had a couple of teething issues with infrastructure but fixed them up quickly enough and kept on chugging.

Cheers!

That is a nice set up. Curious on your display. What was used to show the beers...Windows??

Last edited:
That is a nice set up. Curious on your display. What was used to show the beers...Windows??

RaspberryPints running on a RPi2B in a crate that slides into the dolley under the keezer. Each keg has a flow meter so their levels are tracked in real time. That same RPi2B system controls the keezer temperature, and the two fermentation fridges over Bluetooth links.

brewpints_44_sm.jpg

Cheers!

How well did your vent hoods work and what size heating duct adapter is it? That is next on my list to build for the brew shed...

View attachment 559823
View attachment 559824
View attachment 559825
View attachment 559826

View attachment 559827

Cheers!

How well did your vent hoods work and what size heating duct adapter is it? That is next on my list to build for the brew shed...

My Goldbergian vents are 6" galvy ducting to the blower which then fires into a ~2 foot long 3.25" x 10" galvy section in the overhang space under the second story floor, then exits downwards once outside. And before anyone gets the vapors the whole thing is positioned behind the kettles so even if it did drip the drips will miss the kettles.

Anyway it worked fairly well for its maiden run but not without issue. I quickly found I needed a way to balance the flow between the BK and HLT drops during the brewing liquor pre-boiling, which I split between the two kettles for the sake of speed. With two 90° turns to the HLT vs a straight shot to the BK almost all the flow was through the latter, and the thus uncontained heat plume from the HLT rose straight up and caused the blower to thermal shutdown. Fun!

I did the NASCAR thing and put some tape across the BK duct to get through the day and from that point the system worked very well.
This week I added a pair of dampers that allow me to fully control air flow now. I'm brewing another batch tomorrow so I'll be giving it a full test.

My original intention was to fab a hood - and I may still do that. I had used the blower and the 6" stuff in my shop when I brewed in there and at least to this point was considered temporary. But it works so well I may just stick with it because I see a lot of problems folks have with hoods...

Cheers!

Cranked out the first brew in my new galley brewery today, had a couple of teething issues with infrastructure but fixed them up quickly enough and kept on chugging...

View attachment 559827

Cheers!

Noice! Sweet setup bud!

Cranking out an amber today. Bit late in the day but whatever... :p

We have to attend a "Celebration of Life" (I'm old and still call it a wake) this morning for a dear friend, and then going out to brunch with friends, so will brew up the House SMaSH IPA this afternoon with grain & Mosaic hops I got from the boss yesterday for working my a** off at the brewery the last week. My efficiency has been steadily increasing so I'm moving away from 14+lbs grain bills back to 10lbs of two row, hoping for ABV of around 5%. The last two beers have been 10.1% (intended) and 7.5% (oops) respectively. If I have time will do a second runnings to get some 1.030 or thereabouts wort to save for yeast starters, next item on my learning agenda.

I brewed a helles style(kind of) lager 3 weeks ago. Friday I racked it to kegs and racked 10 gallons of 1.086 Bock onto the yeast cake. It's bubbling away at 55F and I'll leave it for at least 3 weeks. The first lager went form 1.068 to 1.011 in 3 weeks and will now lager until my birthday in mid April.

Done and done, 10 gallons of an experimental NEIPA recipe using Chinook, Amarillo, Cascade and Centennial ready to roll, with last weekend's Julius rocking the 2nd round of dry hops.

NEIPA_01.jpg

I knocked an hour off the brew day this time, there weren't any show-stoppers and I'm starting to figure out how to use the new space. If I can shave another 30 minutes off I'll be back to my typical brew time...

Cheers!

Skiving off helping friends finish moving tomorrow (will help today) to brew up a brown ale. Grain bill is the Caribou Slobber but I don't have the right hops (or the time or money to go get them) so I'm going to bitter with Perle and do 30 & 15 minute additions with 1/2 oz each of Centennial.

Going to teach a former coworker and her husband how to brew an all grain batch. We're going BIAB, making a Belgian dark strong. I think it's a bit ambitious for a first all grain brew, but that's what they wanted to do. I'm bringing over some samples of homebrew and commercial belgians to compare to, as well as a bunch of excess gear. Some different types of base and specialty malt hops to taste. Should be fun! [emoji481]

Thanks! I will have height issues moving into my brew shed(top of HLT is at 6'10, ceiling is 7'10") so a duct pulling from the wall would really be best. Gives me ideas to do a horizontal intake at the top edge of the wall and mount the blower outside in a weatherproof housing. Since the inside of the shed is all steel panel I am not worried about heat etc build up, just want to vent steam... and CO in that enclosed space.

My Goldbergian vents are 6" galvy ducting to the blower which then fires into a ~2 foot long 3.25" x 10" galvy section in the overhang space under the second story floor, then exits downwards once outside. And before anyone gets the vapors the whole thing is positioned behind the kettles so even if it did drip the drips will miss the kettles.

Anyway it worked fairly well for its maiden run but not without issue. I quickly found I needed a way to balance the flow between the BK and HLT drops during the brewing liquor pre-boiling, which I split between the two kettles for the sake of speed. With two 90° turns to the HLT vs a straight shot to the BK almost all the flow was through the latter, and the thus uncontained heat plume from the HLT rose straight up and caused the blower to thermal shutdown. Fun!

I did the NASCAR thing and put some tape across the BK duct to get through the day and from that point the system worked very well.
This week I added a pair of dampers that allow me to fully control air flow now. I'm brewing another batch tomorrow so I'll be giving it a full test.

My original intention was to fab a hood - and I may still do that. I had used the blower and the 6" stuff in my shop when I brewed in there and at least to this point was considered temporary. But it works so well I may just stick with it because I see a lot of problems folks have with hoods...

Cheers!

Dry Irish Stout using Jen Talley's recipe in her Session Beers book. I've never been happy with stouts I've made so going with an experts recipe. Nailed my preboil gravity! Hoping to turn this around in a week and take it camping for St Patrick's day
MVIMG_20180311_114905.jpg

Just about done mashing a big ass imperial stout. Hopefully this pic is turned the right way...

imperial_choc_stout_org.jpg

Done and done. 11 gallons of 1.105 imperial chocolate stout hit #2 ferm fridge, next door to #1 with an neipa near the end of cold-crashing.

imperial_choc_stout_3_18mar2018_02.jpg

Came in a quart high/~2 points low, I can live with that :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Finished up runing a barleywine today. Was the cleanest and spot-on brew I have done to date. Numbers hit, time schedule adhered strictly to, and nothing missed or forgotten. Gravity was 1.105. Gonna be a monster. Had I added a little cinnamon and vanilla to this wort, (pre-hops) it would have tasted just like French Toast. Should finish up with 80 IBU of high alpha acid hops (Galena, Strata, Enigma) If all goes well, it should be kicking by December.

Last edited:
On Tuesday. First time I'm in a situation where the previous batch (that will be bottled on Monday) does not show any significant flaws yet, so that I don't know exactly what I'm going to change. Anyway, it is going to be yet another ESB. Planning to use almost the same recipe and just fine tune the process and equipment a little bit.

Not technically brewing but after an 18 month hiatus I'm going to inventory my equipment to see what's lost or broken. Then hopefully next weekend I'll be brewing a co3c test batch.

I've been asked to provide some home brew for adults at a grad party July 14th so I need to get my process narrowed back down and on point

Just about to mash out on an APA I'm doing with Cascade and Warrior hops. Bit of a departure from the usual brews but today is test day for the yeast starter I started on Thursday. Hope it goes well.

Did an overnight mash for a BIAB blonde ale last night. Going to start the boil in another hour or so.

View attachment 559823
View attachment 559824
View attachment 559825
View attachment 559826

View attachment 559827

Cheers!

Wow. Not gonna lie, I am a bit jealous of your setup.

Anyway, doing a 3gal batch of my Galaxy SMaSH tomorrow. I'll be honest, super simple recipe (obviously), but an absolutely great, easy drinker for spring/ summer days by the pool. Probably fire up the smoker and do a brisket once it is ready to drink.

2BD755A0-FCB5-41D0-8EC3-9619AFFF0FEC.jpeg

Zach and Jacks African Amber in the front. Passion fruit in back left, Apricot Ale I’m back right. Apricot should be ready to bottle in a couple of days.

Testing a modified 2 vessel HERMS setup using parts and pieces of my old system. Got a kolsch going. At the hurry up and wait part of the mash.

20180324_211030.jpg

20180324_211702.jpg

Just about to mash out on an APA I'm doing with Cascade and Warrior hops. Bit of a departure from the usual brews but today is test day for the yeast starter I started on Thursday. Hope it goes well.

And the yeast starter experiment was a complete success...this is about 7 hours after pitching, temperature steady at 68.
20180324_205023[1].jpg

7:30 this morning started an IPA 7 gallons, using Columbus, Centennial & Cluster Hops. All went pretty good.:rock:

Back