So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to get my grain for a banana coconut gose and found my wheat(and most of my malts) full of evil little demons.
Subbed in rye malt

Brewing my first Dunkleweizen. I hope it's gentle with me. :eek:
I'm gambling that a 6.5 gal bucket is gonna be enough to contain the krausen on a 5 gal batch. From reading others' posts, I'm gathering this type of yeast can get a bit aggressive.

*sigh*

Got all ingredients to make Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer as Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Lager and the weather decided to slam us with back-to-back storms with 6 inches of snow each followed by a sub-zero cold snap. I suppose I could brew, but nah. Not this weekend. Maybe over Christmas weekend.

Brewing my attempt to make corrections to my last comp brew. Did really well, just want to see if can reach the major milestone of 45 points. Starting from 42, so it is reachable, but still probably miles away.

Bonus - my wife is joining me for the first time while I brew.

On Day 1 of a 17 day stint of no work.... brewing a LoDO version of yooper's oatmeal stout on Monday while the kids are at day care.

Congrats MT_Keg, its a pumpkin pie porter for me tomorrow. Too tired out from shoveling all morning and setting up for tomorrows brew day.

Half way through the mash of my second brew today. nailed my OG on my first, a black barley coffee lager recipe found on this site. I'm now on a IPA recipe also found on this site. (thank you to all of you for posting recipes for idiots like me to copy).

Had a minor mishap washing my brew kettle out after the first batch. I have a sump pump in a 2.5 gallon bucket I kick under my kettle drains to allow me to clean in place. Anyway its cold enough I was worried the other end of the garden hose I stick out of the doggy door was going to freeze. After I cleaned the Mash tun out from brew number one I pulled it back inside and set the hose end in my dogs water bowl to prevent the hose from dribbling all over the floor. Fast forward to post boil I have my wort all tucked away into my fermentor and am washing down the BK while waiting on my strike water to warm up. I didn't realize my mistake until I heard the dog water bowl overflowing with water :smack:.

Snow outside, stayed inside and brewed up 11 gallons of my Triple Chocolate Imperial Honey Stout.

ab_17dec2016_01.jpg

Pipeline is filling up nicely...

Cheers! :mug:

Going to be brewing up a Belgian Pale Ale tomorrow.

These last few brew days have really made me want to switch to ten gallon batches. Ever since I dialed in my process and started brewing what I would consider good beer (nearly) every time I've really wanted to upgrade my system so that I can brew bigger batches. I'm thinking spring may be the perfect time to step it up.

Waiting on the 40+ degree temp swing before brewing a 10 gal batch of my house blonde. Became my house recipe after batch of bottles disappeared in a week and a half.

[...]These last few brew days have really made me want to switch to ten gallon batches. [...].

When the Spousal Unit asked why I bought three 20g Blichmann G1 kettles last year when I had always brewed with a pair of 10g G1s and a 10g Rubbermaid, I explained that it would cut the number of brew days in half.

She totally bought into it, and the rest is History :D

Fair warning, though: the one down-side is lugging a MLT with 40 pounds of soaked spent grain out to the compost pile through a fresh snow.
BeerSmith says that MLT weighed 103 pounds. I don't doubt it. Woof!

brew_rigs_02.jpg

When the Spousal Unit asked why I bought three 20g Blichmann G1 kettles last year when I had always brewed with a pair of 10g G1s and a 10g Rubbermaid, I explained that it would cut the number of brew days in half.

She totally bought into it, and the rest is History :D

Fair warning, though: the one down-side is lugging a MLT with 40 pounds of soaked spent grain out to the compost pile through a fresh snow.
BeerSmith says that MLT weighed 103 pounds. I don't doubt it. Woof!

If I could talk the SWMBO into letting me get a setup that was anywhere close to that I would be a very happy guy. I'll have to work on my begging skills I suppose :mug::ban:

Just whipped out a Tarrytown Rusty Brown. As soon as it is chilled (partial non-chill) this means all kegs are full and one in the fermenter...have not managed that since just before the last race (October?).

I think this is the trigger for me to finally go back to my arch nemesis...Lagering a strong beer, likely a double-bock. Have not done it in 15 years because all styles but that one that I love, are not lagers.

Going to be brewing up a Belgian Pale Ale tomorrow.

These last few brew days have really made me want to switch to ten gallon batches. Ever since I dialed in my process and started brewing what I would consider good beer (nearly) every time I've really wanted to upgrade my system so that I can brew bigger batches. I'm thinking spring may be the perfect time to step it up.

Good luck i just moved to 10 gallon batches. Keep all your smaller stuff its nice to try a 5 gallon batch first.

Brewed up a 5 gallon batch of Mutt's Nuts Brown Porter..Couldn't help the itch I had to have a bit more chocolate, so added almost an ounce of cocoa nibs in with the last hops addition at 15 minutes to go in the boil..Tasted awesome when I sipped my gravity sample. :) OG came out at 1.048..

making a LoDO version of yoopers oatmeal stout right now...

thought everything was going too perfectly. New monster mill 3 took down the entire >20 lb grain bill in under 2 minutes. hit the beta glucanase strike temp to within a degree, starting flowing well for over 15 minutes and then flow just started to trickle off. didn't panic though. immediately started to increase the temps, stirred the mash gently and it seems to be flowing better now. fingers crossed.

the last time i made this beer i had to scoop the the entire mash out of the tun and then clean out the false bottom mid-mash... do not want to repeat that debacle!

edit: stuck again..... obviously this doesn't like recirculating so i'm shutting the RIMS off now and we'll see what happens. damnit.

edit2: was in process of clean-up and the water stopped... there's a water main break on the street! super lame! 30 minutes until the boil is over and no chill water now.

Wanted to brew last weekend but wasn't able to get to the lhbs to grind my grains (I don't have a mill yet). This weekend will be easier to do it, so I plan on brewing something but not sure what it will be yet. Pilsner or Belgian quad... Hmmmm...

If I can make it work, I would like to do a small batch (2.5G into mini keg) this week before Christmas. Not sure what to whip up but I'm thinking a SMaSH with Red X Malt and an Experimental Hop (#07270). Based on the description of the hop it does well in a malty style beer. Given Red X is on the malty side, I might give this ago.

If I don't do this, then who knows what I will whip up. Either a Pale Ale or an IPA since I have everything on hand to make either style. Or I'll do a SMaSH with Maris Otter or 2-Row with another hop I have on hand. Decisions, decisions, decisions... LOL

Brewing today when I get up. My house ale. 11 gallons batch. Migh brew again Friday to get more beer in the pipeline so I need to brew less in Jan. Now to keep friends out of my beer stash...

So I ended up brewing the small batch last night. I'm happy my stove top can handle small batches during the long winter here in Western NY. Anyway I went with Red X and German Wheat a 60/40 of the two. I used Experimental Hop 07270 as the only hops with this brew and kept it in the Pale Ale style.

Place the wort in the fermenter around 120 degrees and placed it outside on my back deck around 1:30am. At 7am this morning it was down to 50 degrees and the airlock was frozen solid (used San Star solution). Brought it inside, let it warm up some and pitched the yeast. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Not this weekend, but next week I will probably be brewing a couple times to make sure that my pipeline survives the holidays. It is always bittersweet when the fam damily kicks a couple kegs. I love that they like my brew, but hate that it destroys the pipeline.

Latest posts

Back