So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Follow-up to my most recent brew, a gose style, with a Sea Breeze cocktail-ish flavor, called "There Gose Sea Breeze". Planned for the Thanksgiving beach trip...so , the sea breeze tie-in to the cocktail name and the cranberry-ish tie-in via the hibiscus. Was pushing it to get it ready, but I think it turned out very well.

IMG_20151122_201351051.jpg

May not be the weekend, but since I'm off this week, it still is for me, especially since I'm brewing. Got the strike water heating for 10g Yellow Fizzy for a wedding next month.

Brewed up a Spruce Ale on Sat. Used yeast from my Pumpkin Ale and went off like a bomb. (this time I used a blowoff tube so no mess) ;)

How much spruce tips did you add and at what point in the boil (or flameout)? I have spruce ale recipe and always like to compare with other brewers as its a fairly non-traditional brewing ingredient.

You'll have to update with how it tastes vs what you added.

Brewing a Smoked Maple Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout tonight. 3 pounds of overcooked maple syrup added to the beginning of the boil, 2oz of Target hops with 9.8% AA, shooting for an OG of about 1.100 or so. We shall see...

How much spruce tips did you add and at what point in the boil (or flameout)? I have spruce ale recipe and always like to compare with other brewers as its a fairly non-traditional brewing ingredient.

You'll have to update with how it tastes vs what you added.

I used liquid spruce essence, about 1/3 of the bottle or it tastes like pine-sol for for a couple weeks (it does diminish over time).

I changed things up and used some Simcoe, Northern brewer, and Cascade for filtering in the Hop Rocket.

Here is the recipe, feel free to use it.

Steve's Spruce Ale 2015

5.5 Gal batch (according to BeerSmith 2)

10# 2-Row
1# Crystal 20L
8 oz Carapils
4 oz Crystal 60L

Mash at 150 +/- 2 degrees for an hour or until starches have converted fully. Sparge at 170. Collect around 8.5 - 8.75 gallons BEFORE adding molasses. If you did add the molasses it will skew the reading a bit. RDWHAHB.

1 oz - Simcoe - FWH
1# Unsulfered Blackstrap Molasses - Add and stir in well, before starting boil (to prevent scorching on the bottom of the brew vessel).
.5 oz - Northern Brewer (I used .8 oz and it could use a little less) - 20 Min
1/3 of a 2 oz bottle of spruce essence. (.666 oz) - 5 min
1 oz Northern Brewer - 5 min

Your standard Irish Moss, yeast nutrient, Alpha Amylase also if desired at 10-15 min.

American Ale Yeast II - 1272 at pitching temp around 65 degrees

Ferment for 7 days at 68 degrees.

Dry hop with 1 oz of Cascade if you wish.

You WILL get blowoff if fermenting in a 5 Gal Corny keg. ;)

Tasted nice unfermented, and with a barely noticeable hint of spruce. We'll see once she's done fermenting.

It's still bubbling away, and did push out more than expected in a growler and spilled yeast all over the floor of the mini fridge. No worries all clean (for now).

Once done fermenting, take a bit and then once you have consumered a beer then transfer 2 a keg and have another bear. then have a bar and carbonute at 12-14 PSI for another beer. Cleen stuff some time. Dun. WHOOO! :tank:

Brewed an Oatmeal Porter on Sunday. Going to add raspberries and coconut to the secondary. Very excited!

I'm brewing a Moose Drool clone after lunch today. Hopefully, I'll be bottling my Xmas Belgian later tonight, too.

Just mashed in on my Wookie Jack-ish clone black rye IPA. Using Centennial, Amarillo, Columbus hops and trying it with wlp001 instead of us-04 this go around, hoping for a little cleaner yeast profile so the hops really stand out against the roasty/ rye backdrop.

Then Friday trying my hand at a East Coast style IPA, going for the cloudy, juicy ipa using Azacca and El Dorado for the first time. Should be interesting.

Brewing up 5 gallons of Centennial Blonde this weekend, probably pitching it on Kolsch yeast if I can find a vial. Otherwise WLP-001.

I'm currently brewing a yeast starter 1 gallon stout, does that count?

This weekend I'm trying to carve out time to brew a New Albian (ish) pale ale.

I've started with the cream of three crops recipe. But I don't have rice, nor do I have maize. And I contemplated drying it out with cane sugar instead of corn/rice.
But I've since said '&$#% it, I'll just up my two row and make it a pale ale'

Brewing right now! Doing a simple 20 gallon batch of 85% 2-row and 15% corn. I will ferment 15 gallons as a cream ale and the other 5 as an American Lager.

Just finished a 10 liter batch of my Big Red Doe IPA. Second time brewing it, making just a small change in the dry hopping.

Big Red Doe.jpg

Brewing a RIS. Annual event for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Just started drinking the 2014 version and it is awesome.

I have a Dunkelweizen on the boil now, my first bigger batch at 10 gallons.
I have been making 5 gallon batches for a while now

Made a 3% wheat for my parents and wife should be ready by christmas. it was almost depressing to see less than six lbs of grain in a ten gallon cooler! lol

I have always been a cider brewer. Last weekend I brewed a 6.9% spiced cider and a 6.5% pineapple cider. This weekend, i bit the bullet and made my first beer. A basic bavarian style hefweizen. It's bubbling away happily next to my ciders.

Brewed what will be a Mint Chocolate Stout yesterday and bottled 2g of 4.5% ABV Ginger Beer this morning. Haven't brewed since July so it felt good to get back in the saddle.

Brewing today during the skins giants game. Not sure what to brew though. I can do a red, ipa, amber or stout.... decisions decisions...

I brewed a blue moon clone for my wife and dry hopped an IPA that I brewed 10 days ago. These are my first 2 batches of all grain so I am trying to be patient. I'll bottle the ipa after 5 days of dry hops and a couple days to cold crash.

Tucked a batch of Robust Porter in the fermentor just after noon time. That's two brews down on my 'brew-cation'. Just finished weighing grains for an American pale ale to start tomorrow morning!

Made a batch of koyt yesterday with a buddy. Today i started a baych of sauvignon blanc and a rum wash. Now im enjoying a couple pints from the fridge.

Back