So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sat night, did a back to back batch: 5 gal of EdWort's Robust Porter (first BIAB) and 10 gal of my house Cream Ale. Long night but I have 15 gal of beer happily fermenting in my basement!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405476614.848986.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405476638.466548.jpg

Independence Double IPA in the 5 Gallon, Divided Sk-IPA session in the singles

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Going to the LHBS in about an hour to get the ingredients for a Pliny the Toddler. Im hoping it turns out great as I will be serving it at my sisters wedding!!!!

Bottling my requested 2row/calypso SMaSH today, will bottle my retooled fugwagon porter in a few days and have the ingredients ready for a tweak of my Livin' Easy summer ale I plan on brewing on Sunday

I want to brew (badly!) this weekend but may not get to do it, but if I do it will be an American honey/wheat or a cream of three crops.

My empty fermenter is mocking me...

Fat Czech Bohemian Pilsner. My first batch outside on an SP-10 burner (I hope, I haven't bought it yet, otherwise indoors.)

I'll be making the starter later today, and brew tomorrow or Sunday depending on the weather. Nice day, no brew. Cloudy day, brew.

I'm just making root beer for my nieces who are coming for a visit next weekend. Maybe I'll get a batch of cider going too.

Fat Czech Bohemian Pilsner. My first batch outside on an SP-10 burner (I hope, I haven't bought it yet, otherwise indoors.)

I'll be making the starter later today, and brew tomorrow or Sunday depending on the weather. Nice day, no brew. Cloudy day, brew.

I went to Lowe's to buy the burner and I stood there debating the purchase. Then I walked away without it. I thought about the pros and cons, and the cons just weighed in heavily:

Pro - Faster boils, no brewery smell in the house, not in the way in the kitchen
Con - It must be attended, need a new setup for everything else, new sanitation procedure, no sink, need to do some things in the kitchen anyway.

Money wasn't an issue, I can afford the $54. I've been brewing indoors for a very long time, with a kitchen stove that can hold a boil on a full 5.5 gallon batch, if slow to bring it up to one. I'm pretty dialed in to my current setup and procedure and just don't want to upset it.

I went to Lowe's to buy the burner and I stood there debating the purchase. Then I walked away without it. I thought about the pros and cons, and the cons just weighed in heavily:

Pro - Faster boils, no brewery smell in the house, not in the way in the kitchen
Con - It must be attended, need a new setup for everything else, new sanitation procedure, no sink, need to do some things in the kitchen anyway.

Money wasn't an issue, I can afford the $54. I've been brewing indoors for a very long time, with a kitchen stove that can hold a boil on a full 5.5 gallon batch, if slow to bring it up to one. I'm pretty dialed in to my current setup and procedure and just don't want to upset it.

I bought a burner and 7.5 gallon pot for $50 at Walmart and have never used the burner to make beer. I've used it a couple of times for other stuff but the pot I use all the time for brewing!

I agree with your cons, and I am pretty dialed in on my stove/kitchen set up.

Finally brewing again! Heating water for a batch of rum runner stout.

Brewed a Honey Jalapeño Saison today. Never made a saison before, so we'll see how it turns out

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Brewing up a 5 gallon batch of an Apricot IPA. First time doing and IPA not to mention adding apricot. Added 1lb preserves @ boil and then I will add another 3oz of dried apricots when I dry hop it day 5. We shall see!!!!

Just started the cream ale from Brewing Classic Styles. Unfortunately I didn't get my mill set up like I planned and forgot my 2 row wasn't crushed. I had to crush 4 pounds with a bottle. Hope the efficiency turns out okay!

I've got a Guinness clone 7 days in the primary and 4 points await from estimated FG. Hope to be bottling this in a couple of weeks. I brewed using my new 8 gal Tall Boy SS pot and Edelmetall burner from NB. First time not brewing on the stove and oh what a difference. The gas burner brought 5 gal of room temp water to 158F strike temp in <10 min. It brought the 170F, 4 Gal of liquor to full bowl in <5 min to the point of boil over in my 8 Gal pot. Wow!

I've got a Guinness clone 7 days in the primary and 4 points await from estimated FG. Hope to be bottling this in a couple of weeks. I brewed using my new 8 gal Tall Boy SS pot and Edelmetall burner from NB. First time not brewing on the stove and oh what a difference. The gas burner brought 5 gal of room temp water to 158F strike temp in <10 min. It brought the 170F, 4 Gal of liquor to full bowl in <5 min to the point of boil over in my 8 Gal pot. Wow!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405860017.165965.jpg

I made my Fat Czech Pilsner today. I started at 6am, and just finished at 12 noon, so 6 hours. I almost bought that SP-10 burner to cut the time, but in the end it wouldn't have mattered because I couldn't start at 6am on a Sunday without bothering all the neighbors. I must be getting good with the process as I don't consult any guides anymore, just check the water quantity, mash temp, and hop addition times on Beersmith as those vary by recipe.

My yeast starter almost froze too. I put it in the fermentation fridge, set the temp to 44, and walked away. What I didn't see was that the probe was sticking out at the bottom of the door and wasn't measuring the temp inside. Luckily the fridge can barely get to freezing so I had a yeast slushy. I'm not worried, I'll use it. It was more than enough, so if I killed some off (some estimate around 10%) I'll still be OK. Again, it wasn't a hard freeze.

Brewed 10 gallons of Saison to round out the summer pipeline yesterday. I forgot the sugar addition, so I'm going to wait until fermentation starts to die down and feed the yeast with it then. Now I can focus on 2.5 gallon batches and start dialing the house IPA recipe in.

Back