So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Losing my brewing virginity this weekend. Picked up a Fat Tire clone partial mash from Hop Dawgs in Vernon BC. Pretty fired up for round one. Hope to celebrate Canada Day with my very first (and hopefully not last) home brew!

I'm brewing 7.5 gallons of a very simple, pale Belgian with lemon zest for my wife. 3.5% abv and delicious for a Florida Summer.

No brewing for me this weekend. I have to work Monday. Today is dedicated to yard work and tomorrow I'll be visiting some craft breweries and wineries. I'm determined, however, that my chinook/centennial IPA will be brewed next weekend.

Brewing two five gallon batches today. The Blue Balls Belgian Wit and an APA.

image-1033040419.jpg

image-876383332.jpg

Milling grains for two batches of Bitter, one using Crisp MO as a base, the other using Briess Pale Ale malt. Ingredient comparison experiment. Dunkelweizen tomorrow.

Second brew, all set up & just waiting for water (we have a deep well, usually it's great, but we get off flavored in some conditions, and I don't want to risk it). I'm wicked excited, despite the migraine. Yay that my spouse is willing to run to the store for me!

Anyway. I'm making a Golden Cream Ale:

6.6 lbs Breiss Pilsen Light LME
12 oz Honey malt
4 oz Victory malt (there was no biscuit, was told this was a good substitute, basically the American biscuit)
1 oz Cluster hops, 60 min (I'm looking for maltiness, or I'd use Chinook)
Nottingham yeast (since the Amer. Ale is dead, bar a late night awakening)

Partial boil extract w/ grains, but almost full boil (4.5 gallons).

Basically I'm making a beer that the other women in the house would hopefully like. They seem extremely wary of my sweet stout. I'm not sure why. :( I happen to love it.

All the equipment is ready in the kitchen, and I'm itching to get to work! Hurry with the water, girl! Lol

I'm currently mid-brew of "Single Speed" American Red. This is 10gallons, and I have a starter going right now to do 5 gallons of my "Checkered Buffalo" (my take on New Glarus Spotted Cow) for Monday.

Details on the brew day are on the updated frobrew.com in case you're also brewing and want some light beer reading to do! Cheers and happy long weekend everyone!:tank:

Just brewed my first American Barleywine. Hit 1.108 OG / 135 IBU's and am hoping to end up with 12% ABV. Planning on fermenting / conditioning this one for 7 months and opening it around XMAS / NYE. Fermentables included 2 row, munich, rye, caramel 60, and some maple syrup. Hopped with Centennial and Chinook.

Just finished my Golden Cream ale (it's so close to both, lol). It's in the fermentor in our basement, that's finally got up to 60F. We have a solar blanket on hand (as well as conventionals) if the temp drops again.

Unfortunately, it wasn't quite the fun time I had planned, since my wife decided to play withy triggers. One Fire Rock Pale Ale and a stout homebrew, plus clonopin, will make for a lazy afternoon.

But she is trying to make up for it, and the cleanup is already done.

It seems the more leeway I give her, the more she slips into the bad old Army PTSD habits. Not sure what to do about it. :(

Great start to Memorial Day weekend, eh? :/

First party-gyle is going good! I under shot the gravity on the first batch by.006, which is no big deal. I was wanting lower ABV session style beers for summer anyway. Batch one is in the primary and batch two is half way through the boil...

EDIT: Actually, I didn't under shoot gravity on the first batch. In reality I WAY over shot and I diluted with water. I used too much water to dilute which is what made my OG .006 too low... Next time I'll dilute less!

LoreleiHI said:
Just finished my Golden Cream ale (it's so close to both, lol). It's in the fermentor in our basement, that's finally got up to 60F. We have a solar blanket on hand (as well as conventionals) if the temp drops again.

Unfortunately, it wasn't quite the fun time I had planned, since my wife decided to play withy triggers. One Fire Rock Pale Ale and a stout homebrew, plus clonopin, will make for a lazy afternoon.

But she is trying to make up for it, and the cleanup is already done.

It seems the more leeway I give her, the more she slips into the bad old Army PTSD habits. Not sure what to do about it. :(

Great start to Memorial Day weekend, eh? :/

Eh, from a purely clinical standpoint, I'd recommend not combining alcohol and Clonazepam at all. I'd also recommend bumping up the therapy a couple weeks leading up to military themed holidays, if they are triggers.

downtown3641 said:
Eh, from a purely clinical standpoint, I'd recommend not combining alcohol and Clonazepam at all. I'd also recommend bumping up the therapy a couple weeks leading up to military themed holidays, if they are triggers.

Normally, I wouldn't either, and I'd have my spouse as a failsafe if the panic attack got that bad. I think that was part of the plan (she deals with her issues by triggering me--and 30 yrs vs 1 year, who has deeper buttons, heh).

Anyway, panic attack, not thinking clearly, made not the smartest choice. I'm sorry, I'll try to do better in the future.

15 minutes into boil on cream of 3 crops BIAB

image-644726409.jpg

First time using my 13 gallon kettle and new burner.

Drinking a rouge dead guy ( wait that another thread ). ;)

I have about 4lbs of crushed MO left from todays party-gyle (long story), so I think I might make a 3 or 4 gallon BIAB SMaSH on monday....

Brewed a simple blonde base to be used for future sour blending. Used a "Countdown" grist bill: 4 lbs Pilsner, 3lb Vienna, 2lb Wheat, 1lb Munich. Used Pacific Jade and Bramling Cross and pitched a 1.5L starter of built up Russian River Supplication dregs. Plan to duplicate with a vial of WLP 644 Brux Trois and another batch with Wyeast Roselare. Got the vials, just need more base malt. I figure a 9-12 months from now I can play with blending these together or with other base beers.

Just wrapped up a brew day. My first repeat brewing. I brewed a zombie dust clone. It was pretty on target. Someday maybe ill get to taste the real thing. Smh

Currently mashing the American IPA out of Brewing Classic Styles. Should be starting to heat up the sparge water right around sunrise.

It's been a couple of years, but fired everything back up a couple of weeks back. Now I am glad I still have all my beer gear. Started with a quick medium ale, then Denny's Banana Bread, a light session ale, and yesterday a Belgium Tripel. The pipeline is filling up quickly.

I had no intention of brewing this weekend, but "Sir Thomas Urquhart American Stout" is the the mashing stage right now! :ban:

Couldn't pass up a chance to brew on such a nice weekend. I'll be brewing my take on Arrogant Bastard called Cocky S.O.B. tomorrow. Today is all about BBQ and drinking :tank:

Expecting to mash in as soon as the kids are out. Another night of brewing on the patio!

Repeating my batch #1, which was a baseline for my process and efficiency. I was out for 15 long boring years. I expect to return to this recipe a few times to check my efficiencies. I'm sure I have made progress, tonight shall prove it.

11 lbs 2row pale
1 lb 20L
1 lb honey malt

1 oz nugget 60 mins
1 oz Willamette 5 mins
1 oz Willamette whirlpool.

Already been to it...brewed a Hopfen-Weisse yesterday. Brewing a Dubbel today. And maybe, just maybe (depending on my mood tomorrow) an Irish Red. Hopfen is happily fermenting away :ban:

Back