So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at the last minute I decided to just go for it and I'm going to brew 5 gallons of EdWort's Haus Pale today. This will also be my first attempt at primary only fermentation.

Going to be making a Honey-Orange Hefe today. I know it's a bit out of season but it warmed back up here and it's gonna stay for a bit for we figure why not ^_^

Finished up a Norther Brewer Three-Hearted Ale (extract kit). Used my refractometer for the first time! Rehydrated and proofed dry yeast for the first time!

I'm starting to feel like a real brewer!

I did a honey amber on friday, and pitched it on a Nottingham yeast cake. On sat. I did 5 of Nierra Sevada pale ale.

I have 5 in a secondary, and 2 primarys full. Life is good.

Twenty five minutes into the mash on Orfy's Hobgoblin and already have the grain measured, milled and ready for a standard 70/20/10 Dry stout.

First brewday since March 8th '09! Gotta take a break in the middle to run my dad to physical therapy and radiation, but at least I'm mashing again...

Twenty five minutes into the mash on Orfy's Hobgoblin and already have the grain measured, milled and ready for a standard 70/20/10 Dry stout.

First brewday since March 8th '09! Gotta take a break in the middle to run my dad to physical therapy and radiation, but at least I'm mashing again...

Sweet! Good way to get back in the saddle, Matt. :rockin:

Thanks Jason.

Spent a few hours cleaning everything this morning and finding bits and pieces that were missing. Killed off the last of my flaked barley as well. Time to put an order in...

*chuckle*

"Farleywine"-a tribute to Chris Farley...RIP.

18lbs American pale 2 row
2.5lbs 120L

2.5oz chinook @ 90 min 73ibu aa=11.4 wt 50%
1.75oz chinook@ 15 min 23.7ibu aa=11.4 wt 35%
.75oz chinook @ 5 min 4.1ibu aa=11.4 wt 15%
1oz Columbus @ 0 min 0 ibu aa=14.8

extras: 1.5lbs Liquid dark candi sugar @ 15min
american medium toast oak spirals soaked in bourbon in secondary

mash: 1.25qts/lb @ 150.0*F for 60 minutes (6.4gallons @ 161.5*F = strike water) grain at 78*F

Batch sparge 3.5gallons at 170*F

OG @ 100% = 1.136, brewhouse eff= 75% = 1.102.

hit it spot on!

ferment with Nottingham dry yeast and WLP051. Airlock started popping within 3 minutes of me putting it on, and today its doing 90 pops per minute! WOOOT!

If my work network issues aren't resolved tomorrow, I'll be tackling the Rye IPA that lost against the Roggenbier.

:mug:

"Farleywine"-a tribute to Chris Farley...RIP.

18lbs American pale 2 row
2.5lbs 120L

2.5oz chinook @ 90 min 73ibu aa=11.4 wt 50%
1.75oz chinook@ 15 min 23.7ibu aa=11.4 wt 35%
.75oz chinook @ 5 min 4.1ibu aa=11.4 wt 15%
1oz Columbus @ 0 min 0 ibu aa=14.8

extras: 1.5lbs Liquid dark candi sugar @ 15min
american medium toast oak spirals soaked in bourbon in secondary

mash: 1.25qts/lb @ 150.0*F for 60 minutes (6.4gallons @ 161.5*F = strike water) grain at 78*F

Batch sparge 3.5gallons at 170*F

OG @ 100% = 1.136, brewhouse eff= 75% = 1.102.

hit it spot on!

ferment with Nottingham dry yeast and WLP051. Airlock started popping within 3 minutes of me putting it on, and today its doing 90 pops per minute! WOOOT!
Fermented in a van down by the river?:D

Aromatica Maibock last weekend...Aromatica Pale Ale this weekend...and racking Devil May Cry.

Brewing a HUGE porter to age for more than a year...hopefully :)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.46 gal
Estimated OG: 1.113 SG
Estimated Color: 36.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
18.00 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.79 %
2.36 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 10.07 %
1.17 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) Grain 5.01 %
0.71 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.02 %
0.60 lb Chocolate Malt UK (412.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 %
0.60 lb Chocolate Malt US (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 %
1.75 oz Galena [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 52.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.75 %] (30 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
2.66 oz Coffee (Secondary 3.0 days) Misc
8.00 oz Theo Cacao Nibs (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [StarYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 23.44 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 28.00 qt of water at 165.3 F 152.0 F

Got a starter going for brewing my stout on Teach A Friend To Homebrew Day. Actually, it's going to be a group brew day at Caspio's place and all three brewers there will be brewing this same batch...with different yeast. I'm using US-05, Caspio is on Wyeast 1056, and the other guy is getting some California Ale yeast from a local microbrewery in Oroville. I think there will be some sort of "stout-off" in January!

I'm in the process of modifying my brew stand so if I get it back together I'll be brewing. That's a big "IF" though.

PseudoChef said:
Maybe something else for this huge slurry of Denny's 50. American Pale Ale probably if I have the hops.
Haha, what a coincidence. Friday I'm racking my first brew with Denny's Fave 50 yeast, washing the cake, saving a couple of mason jars, and pitching the rest on Sunday into a Pale Ale. Never used this yeast before but I don't think I've ever had a yeast starter smell so...clean. Starter flocc'd extremely well too.

brewing another strawberry wheat (out of season but still good) 11/6
bottling improved "double diamond" 11/7
Helping buddy brew 2nd batch 11/8 or 11/9

Weather looks like it will be pretty decent around here this weekend, so I just smacked a pack of Belgian Abbey yeast to get a starter going tonight. For the weekend, I'm shooting for a double -

Phat Tyre & Lefse Blonde

Haha, what a coincidence. Friday I'm racking my first brew with Denny's Fave 50 yeast, washing the cake, saving a couple of mason jars, and pitching the rest on Sunday into a Pale Ale. Never used this yeast before but I don't think I've ever had a yeast starter smell so...clean. Starter flocc'd extremely well too.

This will be my 3rd generation with it - so that should tell you how happy I am with it. Exactly as the description says: excellent malt accentuation and I hit exactly 75% attenuation with both brews. This will definitely replace S-05/001/1056 for me. Took a little longer to floc for me, but them's the breaks :cross:

Brewing with a local club on Saturday and then Sunday probably a chili beer with a friend who's new (newer than me, anyhow!) to the hobby.

I've got to rack a Centennial Blonde to secondary, and the brew up a Dead Guy clone tomorrow......Should make for a good day!

Whipped up a WLP550 (Belgian Ale) starter last night for another batch of SWMBO Slayer I'm gonna brew tomorrow. This yeast should be a little less tart and more spicy than WLP400, but I've never used it before.

I have an ESB that I am going to brew up this weekend.

I also have to bottle a batch of IPA. That should keep me busy and having fun for a least one of the days this weekend.

Back