So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10g batch of all grain milk stout today. Broken into 5g of chocolate and 5g of vanilla. Using some harvested safale 05 from my last Bell's Amber Clone.

Got an extract pale ale with cranberries and honey cooling before putting in the carboy.

2 weeks in on my Burton Ale today. got a 1st FG reading of 1.020,down from OG 1.065. Nice amber/golden brown color,flavor of light toasty malt with an almost butterscotch,dark sweetness on the back. Hops are still spicy,not much definition yet. Gunna be at least another week till I'm anywhere close to a stable FG.
Took the blow off tube off my wife's summer ale clone after a wild ass initial ferment. Threw on a sanitized airlock. It immediately started bubbling slowly.:mug:

Yesterday I put together this recipe and brewed with a new potential brew collaborator:
Type: All Grain Date: 10/22/2011
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: Ian
Boil Size: 8.24 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Stainless Kegs (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
Final Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Prepare for Brewing

Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
Total Water Needed: 11.04 gal

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.7 %
4 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 26.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 23.50 qt of water at 168.1 F 153.0 F 60 min

Boil Wort

Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.057 SG

Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 32.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 14.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 12.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 10.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 1.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal

Measure Actual Original Gravity _______ (Target: 1.078 SG)
Measure Actual Batch Volume _______ (Target: 5.00 gal)

And the day before I did a Cascade Munich smash.

Those water amounts look off. It says POST boil volume of 6.24 GALLONS & you wanna top it off to final volume of 5 gallons? Fly sparge of over 5 GALLONS of water? A touch much,wouldn't you say?...

sorry, stupid beersmith 2( I am stupid in that it was my first time using the print recipe function)

i ended up with about 4.8 gallons that I had to add a bit to in order to get to my OG,

allow me to fix that. thanks for pointing it out.:mug:

Wasn't trying to be a wise guy or anything. I've read some other complaints about beersmith2 as well. Must've been a beta release??? Not your bad,man. I just have a quick eye for details...most of the time,anyway.

Brewed 5 gal of a RIS ala Old Rasputin. Pretty excited about this one. Oh yeah, I guess I'm pretty excited about every one :ban:

Wasn't trying to be a wise guy or anything. I've read some other complaints about beersmith2 as well. Must've been a beta release??? Not your bad,man. I just have a quick eye for details...most of the time,anyway.

I have BS2 and I'm having issues with the sparge option. For some odd reason when I select the sparge method it doesn't tell me how much sparge water is needed. I don't know what the deal is. Example "() 162 is needed"

Keg my cream of three crops and brew a cranberry wheat.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I'm definitely brewing at least one thing this weekend: AHS London Porter.

If the stars align and I get all my all grain equipment from the three places I ordered it (and the ingredients for my first AG) by this weekend I will brew Ed's Bee Cave Robust Porter.

Good thing,I noticed several folks experiencing glitches with it to the point where I wondered if it was a beta release.
I'll be taking a second FG test on my Burton ale this Sunday. I hope it doesn't loose that bit of rich,dark sweetness on the back,though. It's a characteristic of that ale. I'm happy I nailed it the 1st time out,but too high an attenuation could change that too much...

brewing a cream ale to share with the family over the holidays, and an Edmund Fitzgerald porter clone for my buddy's party in january!

Brewing a 5 gal. all grain batch of Columbus IPA. First time using the new
brew rig. Scored it on craigslist.
Cheers

No brewing but am bottling my experimental all-citra IPA.

I'm also bottling my first batch of EdWort's Apfelwein. Looking forward to a few right-out-of-the-fermenter samples of that one.

Go away north eastern precipitation! I have an AHS Holiday Stout to brew. Since we might have some snow tomorrow, I'll be bottling some RyePA and saving the brew day until sunday....wish I had a garage to brew in...

It's a triple brew weekend for me. I just finished up my brew rig and have to break it in.
Friday I brewed an IPA with a Belgian twist. Saturday is a Firestone Walker Double Jack clone and Sunday I'm brewing the Northern Brewer Olde Luddite English Strong Ale from Ibrew.
I put up the canopy on the deck so rain or shine I'm all ready. :mug:

I hope to brew up my Munich - Tettnanger SMASH this weekend. My first SMASH, my first decoction, my first lager... I hope for the best.

Go away north eastern precipitation!

I know what you mean. It's been nearly as bad in the midwest until late this week. I had to postpone 3 brew days because of heavy rain. Boo!

Well, this weekend or next, it's going to be my usual winter porter. I may use my old standby, 1728, which makes a great beer, but I'm tempted to try the Burton ale yeast, or something else new. Decisions, decisions...

Should be a perfect weekend for brewing. Nothing better than making beer, drinking beer and watching college football. Making a double batch of my house ESB and then kegging up an alder smoked tomato red ale, a hard cider for the holidays to come and on sunday bottling a bourbon barrel aged spiced winter warmer.

Gonna brew up a 5gal batch of cranberry wheat today & 5 gal of Lakefront's Black IPA tomorrow. Also gotta rack my Warrior IIPA.
:mug:

3-4 2-gal batches of different SMASH IPA brews (Columbus FWH, Columbus without FWH, Amarillo, Glacier) to do some research and start all grain on a manageable level.

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

Brewing the Irish red from brewing classic styles. Few more minutes and it will be time to boil.

Back