So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gettin set up to start my first all grain adult beverage.

Maris otter/Cluster SMaSH

Should be interesting. Finished up my zapap MLT this morning.
I used a zapap for about 4 years and still have it. I used it a couple of years ago when I had too much malt for my 10 gallon Imperial stout.
Good luck with the first attempt. One hint is to have extra water on hand, both hot and cold to help you get the right strike temp.

corkybstewart said:
I used a zapap for about 4 years and still have it. I used it a couple of years ago when I had too much malt for my 10 gallon Imperial stout.
Good luck with the first attempt. One hint is to have extra water on hand, both hot and cold to help you get the right strike temp.

Yeah I'm heating up water and getting ready to mash in, I'm gonna have some extra hot and cold water on the side. Gonna hang out with a lid on it in the sun and wrap a sweatshirt or blanket around it and see what happens.

I've been itching to give all grain a go, and don't have the extra cash or patience at the moment. So I'm just using what I already had on hand. Pretty excited to see how this goes.

Trying the Apocalypso from AHS. First Partial mash and first time experimenting, I added about 1 lb of Crystal 75 to the grain bill for a little more color and to bring the ibus down a bit. All grain is right around the corner if the goes well tommorrow. Wish me luck...

Well everything seem to go fine but I think i may have mash too high after sittin for an hour it seem to to be at 158 degrees and after all that I took a hydro reading and it seem to be at 1.060 do u guys think i might have got to much maltose out of the grain i did add a lb of crystal 75?

Oh yea broke my first hydrometer after 13 batches.

Is it weird but i m likin the longer brew day???

Doing my first batch of all grain today, Jamil's Evil Twin. Everything seems to be on track do far. I have about 5 minutes left in the mash then it is time to sparge, easy stuff so far.

I'm gunna be filming the bottling of my English bitter as soon as the priming solution cools off. Boy,the maximum amount of priming sugar for the style isn't much for 6G of ale. 1.3oz of table sugar (closest choice on list). I'm using demerara sugar this time,but since it isn't much,I doubt I'll get much color or flavor out of it.
But the amount used in a pale ale or IPA most likely would add some small complexity. Have to try it on my APA next time.

brewed an AHS Apocalypso. Started at 8am and wrapped it up at 1pm. It started raining at 9:30 because the beer gods were angry that I was drinking coffee so I had an oatmeal stout. Its got oatmeal in it, so that is breakfast worthy, right? Anywho, beer gods were happy and it stopped raining.

Just got done brewing Biermuchers Centennial Blonde. Used his grain bill but altered the hop schedule to all late hopping.

I hear that, 8:03, pumpkin is roasting in the oven, about to fill hlt

Awesome

I am doing my first Southern Brown Ale tomorrow morning, but since I already have had a few of my delicious Amarillo Rye Pale Ales I not gonna start till 10 o´clock or so ;)

Just primaried a maple bacon porter. I used some smoked malt, the wort smelled awesome when it hit the primary. I'll be making a bacon extract over the next few weeks that I'll add the the ale before I keg and prime with maple syrup. I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.

About halfway through the boil of a Gumball Head clone. Just about time to start adding Amarillo every five minutes.

Awesome

I am doing my first Southern Brown Ale tomorrow morning, but since I already have had a few of my delicious Amarillo Rye Pale Ales I not gonna start till 10 o´clock or so ;)

Well I guess it has turned into an Amber Ale.

But its my third batch this weekend :rockin:

mdgagne said:
Just primaried a maple bacon porter. I used some smoked malt, the wort smelled awesome when it hit the primary. I'll be making a bacon extract over the next few weeks that I'll add the the ale before I keg and prime with maple syrup. I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Bacon makes everything better, mostly.

I'm curious how you plan on making the extract. I've seen some infuse topics but nothing too successful.

Bottled my English bitter I primed with demerara sugar yesterday afternoon. I got 67 bottles this time. Not much trub in the bottom of the fermenter. That's a new record for me & my 6G batches. Even got a half bottle at the end in the fridge. Filmed it for a bottling video too.

Made a red rocket clone and missed my fg by .006. Bottled my pale ale. Never again will I bottle and brew at the same time. Too much to keep track of.

I'm in the middle of brewing an all grain batch of Centennial Pale Ale. Just finished the mash, and got a mash efficiency of 74-75%, 5 up from my last (first) batch of beer. Here's how it looks:

Boil Size: 6.22 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 5.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.0 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.7 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.3 %
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 26.1 IBUs
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 12.9 IBUs
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 7 1.1 IBUs
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -

Jsmith82 said:
Bacon makes everything better, mostly.

I'm curious how you plan on making the extract. I've seen some infuse topics but nothing too successful.

I came across a bacon vodka howto somewhere on the interweb. You basically soak the bacon in a neutral alcohol (im debating between vodka and bourbon). I'll let it steep for a week then freeze to separate. I think I'll incrementally at bottling till I reach the desired intesity. flavor. I'm going to crisp up a lb of bacon and finely chop before adding it to a couple cups of whatever I end up choosing for spirit. I also read about adding bacon to a secodary but the fat kills head retention. Any suggestions?

fatboy1271 said:
First time brewing in two years... Showing my GF the process and figured it's about time to remake my Red!

Ditto..first time in three. Went extract with grain but planning an all grain in a few weeks.

I just brewed for the first time since Memorial Day...I had felt like one of my kids had been missing...damn it's good to be back!!!

I'm doing a double brew day on Sat. First will be a American brown ale just in time for the cold weather, which hopefully comes sooner than later and the second will be a 2.5 gallon Scottish style stout that I will be using my new all electric system for the first time, its my RIMS little brother.

I had plans to brew weekend before last, postponed due to family needs. Wanted to brew today, postponed because the school district called off school for the first two days of the year!

I have the stuff for two batches sitting waiting for me to get to work! PLEASE let school be in session tomorrow!

I'm going to brew an Oktoberfest kit which I'm going to ferment with 1728 (scottish ale yeast) since I'm not set up to lager yet.

Planning on my first BIAB this weekend. Got my ingredients from AHS on Monday for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. :rockin:

Big brewing weekend(s) for me. Wife and Kids are out of town for 2 weeks, and I've hardly brewed all summer.

On deck:
Berlinerweisse
Flanders Red
Janet's Brown
Huge IPA with 1 pound of hops
California Common
Smoked Porter

Back