So what score in a contest would you consider disappointing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had it at 68F then it is possible that the actual temperature of the fermenting beer was in the low to mid 70's. Some people are hyper-sensitive to diacetyl and swear they can perceive it in small doses. In an IPA, it must have been quite noticeable to stand out as a flaw.

that 68f is a measured 66F on a temp strip so i was figuring a few degrees above for actual beer temp. I know what buttered popcorn smells/tastes like, i've tasted un d-rested lagers and can pick it out as well. I was thinking that same thing about diacetyl for an IPA must be pretty pronuounced....all i can taste is loads of Citra and Simcoe as it had 4 oz from 0min into the dry hop...

Not bitter/upset by any means, just looking to improve my beer

Just got sheets back from a local comp, my IPA that i love scored a measily 27. Comments said diacetyl present from both judges, watch fermentation temps, etc. Pitched rehydrated 05 and sat at 68F. Now i did rush this a little by getting it in the keg and carbed by day 16...

I was a little dissapointed...can i not taste diacetyl?? I'm only using about 7% crystal and 20-40L at that, could this be taken as the big D?

What was the experience level of the judges? That is one thing to consider. I got some sheets back from the same comp. Some, i thought, had some very valuable feedback. There were a couple, that I thought were not so great, and coincided with what seemed like inexperienced judges to me. I know they saw a very large increase in entrants this year. I did notice in at least one category there were 15 beers in my flight - that is a ton.

There are a variety of reasons your beer may have not done as well as you hoped.
1.) It very well could have the flaws that the judges perceived and you did not.
2.) It could be a case of overwhelmed judges and palate fatigue in tasting many beers. Does your score sheet say how many beers and what position yours was tasted? My IPA was judged as very good, clean, balanced - but on the "small" side. It was also the last beer tasted in the flight. My guess is it would be perceived differently if it was the first beer tasted. (Not saying it was scored improperly or anything - just that these sort of things can make a real difference.
3.) Could be inexperienced judges who did not identify something correctly.
4.) could be flaws in your handling or filling, or the contests handling.
Etc. etc.

Contests provide "a" tool of evaluating your beer. They are not the only tool. Multiple contests with the same beer, in my opinion, are really the only way to bring a flaw, or a strength, to the top. Send the same beer to 4 comps. Get 8 sheets and if 3- 5 experienced judges are telling you the same thing - it is likely true.

Yeah I'm just wondering if maybe I can't taste the flaws, if in fact they were there. Mine was also tasted 2ND last in the flight. I'm not saying the beer should be BOS, just curious as to if my beer is as good as I think lol

Have only done a few competitions before and my beers scored in mid to low 20's, but I was just looking for feedback so it did not really bother me that much, plus one time I sent a 8 month old coconut porter because I had nothing else to send and it scored a 19, and that's what I deserved for sending in a beer that was way past it's prime!

But this weekend, I hit a home-run, a California Common I made to send to the NHC, scored a 37.5 at the Ocean State Comp in RI for 2nd place in Amber Hybrid! And I had carbonation issues with that beer, so never expected it to place, so who knows, if the carbonation was right, may have hit my first 40! Also sent a Imperial IPA which scored a 25.

Back