So what about 10 gallon PM batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SW Brewer

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler converted to a mash LT, which I have used only once in an all grain batch. I plan to go back to an all grain batch soon, but I am really enjoying PM batches. I realize many will say its as much work to do all grain as it is to do PM, but I enjoy it so there!

At any rate, I do not think that the 10 gallon cooler will hold enough grain for the IPAs that I want to do in 10 gallon batches, but what about using it to do 10 gallon PM batches?

Greg

If you want to do an IPA that big a 10 gallon PM is certainly an option, but I personally would lean more towards doing 2 separate 5 gallon batches.

my $.02

You *might* be able to get enough grain in there for a medium-sized IPA without adding any extract. You should at least be able to get 2/3 - 3/4 of your fermentables from the grain unless you're doing an Imperial IPA. It that what you're thinking about for a partial mash? I like to refer to those as mostly-All Grain batches :D

But, no reason at all that I can think of why doing 10-gallon PM batches wouldn't work.

If you really prefer to do a 10 gal batch over a 5 gal batch, I think a PM IPA recipe is a great idea. It will allow you to mash a good proportion of the fermentables in your existing mash tun without over-filling it, and you can make up the remainder with some malt extract. What's even better is that if you use a late extract addition, you are going to increase the hop utilization in your boil, which is important for an IPA. This could actually be a slight advantage over an AG IPA recipe for some.

DME isn't cheap compared to grain, but aside from that, I say go for it.

As an aside, it sometimes gets overlooked, but this is also really good way to overcome space limitations in the mash tun for brewers with a 5 gal MLT who are trying to brew a high gravity 5 gal batch.

SW Brewer said:
Thanks for the response, but why would you prefer that route?

Mostly because I keep only a few pounds of DME on hand for starters and it cost so much more than grain. If I couldn't fit all the grain that I wanted in my MLT, then I'd split it up into 2 separate brews. I love the brewing process, and have no problem doing another brew if it means not having to spend extra money on DME at like $4/lb.

But like other posters have said in here, there is absolutley nothing wrong with doing a 10 Gal PM. If you have limited MLT space and really want to do a 10 gallon batch then I say go for it!

I don't mind, but bear in mind that I have yet to brew an AG IPA that I really liked. :mad: (This is hard to admit, but I have a kit recipe that I use -- ouch!)

SW Brewer said:
Sweet. Do you guys mind me running my recipes by you for consideration and tweaking prior to brewing?

Not at all. You'll find that most people here will be happy to help you out.

PM is a a reasonable alternative to buying new equipment. If most of your beers can be made in your existing setup, why bother with bigger gear? A bigger mash tun would mean a shallower grain bed for most batches. I rarely do 10 gallon batches, but I'll augment my grain bill for barleywines & such.

An extra $5-6 for a 10 gallon batch is down in the noise.

Thanks for the support fellas. I am going to look at converting my keg with a weldless fitting for a ball valve, then I need to get a chiller.

Greg

how bout an English style batch sparge? first runnings = your iPa, second runnings= a lighter beer for quaffing at meals.

My problem is that I like big IPAs all around, so the quaffing beers just end up with me housed at the end of the night ;)

Greg

Back