So NOOb I don't have any equipment...yet!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicis

Reaction score
Hello everyone in home brew land, 1st post here. I have a Perlick beer fridge in the garage that holds one half barrel. Been tapping kegs for 8 years now. I would like to brew my own and tap it. Cleaning the line and parts I am aware of. I do have a large lobster pot. I want to bypass the inexpensive way unless that's better! Money is NOT an issue. But again the most expensive is not always better. I would like to make (2) 5 gallon kegs at a time. I am not opposed to the stainless conical if it is worth it. I have heard that they are originally a large scale tool for breweries and have been scaled down to the home brewer. So maybe for a max of 10-14 gallon of beer in a stainless conical makes no money sense.

Bottom line is what do I need to buy to get started. I am dizzy from all the info out there on this. I also heard temperature is a issue. Would I need a fridge to just ferment this brew at whatever temp needed (70 to 50 degrees) ??

Yes I am a NOOb! :)

There are so many variables and ways to go about it there is no way to give a simple "do this" answer. You need to do the research yourself. Read much, search and ask specific questions.

15 gallon pot ( with spigot), turkey fryer, 10 gallon mash tun, wort cooler (immersion), two six gallon better bottles, two stoppers, two air locks, sanitizer, hydrometer, kegs (and everything to hook them up), way to control temp be it keezer or kegerator, two beer kits, mix together = 10 gallons beer but seriously if money is no option go to your local home brew shop and they will be glad to help you

Start simple, do a few extract based kits in the kitchen and look at your space as you learn the process.

Any of the basic equipment kits from the on line vendors listed on HBT, or a decent lhbs, will get you what you need to get started with actually brewing. They usually go from, I think, about $80-$125 ish.

Then read about all the different approaches on here and anywhere else you can, and think about what looks like the most fun/cool/styling setup for where you are. Maybe you have a man cave and want to go with an electric setup so you can brew indoors, or maybe a brewtus in a tricked out garage is more your speed, or roughing it with a turkey fryer and some benches made from milk crates off to the side for your stuff. There are a LOT of nice pics on here of different brewer's setups, from the basic to the phat.

I would just say take your time and think about it, you can brew pretty easily and efficiently with out much investment.

Back