So, I went to throw the dry hop into the fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seph

Reaction score
And I got a little whiff of the hop aroma coming from the Rye IPA. It smelled great, so I figured I'd get a better smell by getting closer to the beer. I stuck my head down and my nose into the bucket...and now I know the meaning of the CO2 burn.

That is all.

:tank:

It was alcohol burn, not CO2 I believe. Where you live did they ever have an "Oxygen" bar, or the one that you get the alcohol as a vapor, and literally get drunk on the fumes. I never went myself, but I do know about whiffing the inside of a ferment chamber.

You're mainly snorting the co2 blanket in there when you stick your head in. Besides any aromas...:drunk: I think they got the idea for vaping alcohol from doin it with weed. Saw it on yutube for that weed competition in the Netherlands.

I know that feeling. I use a temp controlled chest freezer for fermenting. I went to sniff the airlock with out realizing the whole chest was filled with co2.... I won't be doing that again.

I've done the same thing and got a rush and think I saw God!
But, regarding dry hopping, I usually wait until all the major fermenting is over and done before dry hopping. because I've always read that the carbon dioxide produced during fermentation can strip hop volatiles and reduces the impact of the hops added. Dry hopping during fermentation can also plug up your airlock.

Don't mean to take the fun out of this thread so apologies for the misdirection.

Well damn. Now I feel like I should do this just because. I never heard of it.

I've done the same thing and got a rush and think I saw God!
But, regarding dry hopping, I usually wait until all the major fermenting is over and done before dry hopping. because I've always read that the carbon dioxide produced during fermentation can strip hop volatiles and reduces the impact of the hops added. Dry hopping during fermentation can also plug up your airlock.

Don't mean to take the fun out of this thread so apologies for the misdirection.

No problem. The fermentation is complete on this batch, I just haven't disturbed it enough to dislodge all of the CO2. ;)

I did that on my first brew, back when I used my bucket. Opened it for the first time. Didn't smell like much. Stuck my head down in the bucket and took a big whiff.

^&*^&

Never did that again.

I once tried to get the last yeasty sip of a hefe by pouring it from the keg into my mouth.

ONCE.

The CO2 pouring out almost knocked me out.

:cross:

Latest posts

Back