So I sampled before bottling and....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper18

Reaction score
It certainly tasted like a pale ale, but it had about two or three other flavors that hit you one right after the other. It even had a SALTY note. It'll be bottled for about 3 weeks at least. Will these complex flavors mellow into one smooth beer? I fermented in low to mid 60's.

It will definitely change in the bottle. How depends on the recipe, temperatures, and other aspects your process. I'm fairly new at this myself, but in my experience harsh flavors tend to mellow and sweet/fruity flavors usually get more pronounced.

In a lighter hoppy beer it should happen fairly quick and the beer will most likely be its best right after those harsh flavors mellow and carbonation is complete. Big dark beers will take longer, sometimes much longer.

IPA's get some interesting flavors, unless it's a hop bomb, and then it's just that. The flavors are coming from the hops and yeast... influenced by the temperature the wort was fermented. ChemErik hit it on the head, the flavors and bitterness change over time, especially lighter beers. Don't wait too long to get that beer consumed... IPA's are best sooner. Might be a good idea to take notes on how the beer is doing during conditioning, it may help for your next batch of the beer. Regardless... enjoy the process, the beer, and keep on brewing!

Was this an extract or all grain brew? Salty flavor makes me think it may have to do with a funky water chemistry, and as far as I know, no amount of aging will fix that. It doesn't sound like the sample you tasted was horrible so even if it doesn't have a perfect flavor profile it's still drinkable!! :D

Yeah I'll sample the bottles along the way. This was an extract recipe. As far as water is concerned I had you all look at my water report and from that I added campden tablets and calcium chloride to the water. I'm confident it'll all mellow out but just needed to hear it from you all haha.

Back