So I got my kit and I have only one ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricker112

Reaction score
Before I get going I have a Coopers Wheat Beer Extract kit and a pound of Dried Malt Extract. Do I need more sugar for the Wort? I know I need sugar to prime but do I need any in the first part when I am boiling?

Also, When I prime can I do it in the bucket or do I need to fill every individual bottle. Thanks guys.

Without more information, I can't answer your first question. As for your second, you add the priming solution to the bucket, then siphon your beer onto that to get the mixing.

If you purchased a kit, it should have all the extract it needs, unless it's one of the ole "kit and a kilo" kits that call for large additions of table or corn sugar. If it's the latter, you should replace at least some of the sugar with the DME you have and stop buying kits from the same manufacturer.

Most of the Coopers kits specify 1/2 kilo (1 lb) of DME plus 1/2 kilo of dextrose sugar. But you can brew them how you like. If you just use the 1 lb of DME it will be a fairly low alcahol beer (I would guess around 3 - 3.5%). Adding the sugar just adds alcohol content as it should get entirely converted into alcohol. Adding DME or LME gives you more maltiness and body as it is not entirely converted to alcohol.

actually I'm just running the numbers on it now - if you brew the Coopers Wheat kit with the 1lb of DME up to 5 gal (19 L) and bottle carbonate, you get:
OG: 1.036
FG: 1.009
ABV: 3.9%
IBU: 19.7
EBC: 5.7

Adding 1 lb of sugar bumps your ABV up to 5%

When I prime can I do it in the bucket or do I need to fill every individual bottle. Thanks guys.

you can do it either way but its much easier to bulk prime - boil a sugar solution on the stove, cool down, add to bucket and rack your beer on top

Thanks guys! I will no doubt add dextrose sugar as I like ABV! First brew so I'm pretty stoked to get started. Thanks for being easy on the noob.

Back