So I brewed a batch and forgot about it. Quick Question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraphBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a batch back in late March and just completely forgot about it. Between work, school and two vacations I couldn't find time to tend to it I guess. Either way, I rediscovered the batch and the plans I had for it (it's more or less a Cherry Wit) about 2 weeks ago at which point I racked it onto several pounds of cherries. I don't think much fermentation kicked back up, if any at all. My question is, should I throw some more yeast in for bottling? I would hate to have flat beer because all the yeast is dead. Also, what are your thoughts on the fact that it stayed in primary for like 2 and half months? It didn't seem oxygenated.

Thanks in advance.

As long as it didn't suffer from autolysis during that time it should be fine. From what I gather on these boards, that amount of time should not be too concerning. My last beer spent a month in primary and two months in secondary due to time/bottle space reasons. When I finally bottled it, I added about a third of a packet of Nottingham to the bottling bucket to make sure I would have no problems. The beer turned out great.

That's quite awhile but there will be yeast in there that will eventually carbonate the beer. It may take awhile. I can't tell you exactly how much but I've heard of people pitching about 1/2 packet of dry yeast to make up for what might be lost.

Back