So far so good...I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkydadhomebrew

Reaction score
Brew day was on Sunday. New to this, so used standard Muntons dry yeast. Today noticed not much activity in the airlock, so decided to take a hydrometer reading (everything I read and heard said dry yeast can ferment out in 24-48 hrs). Down to 1.016. Recipe calls for FG of 1.012 to 1.010, so I think I will leave in the primary a couple more days before moving to the secondary.

The good thing is the fermenting liquid at least smelled like something more resembling beer which I think is a good thing. Fingers crossed. I am sure I am the only one who has ever worried about the first batch!

my first is still in the primary. irish stout. I could technically keg on sunday which will be 3 weeks away and force carb it. but, I am learning patience from this new hobby so I will carb it at 30psi for two days then let it sit at 9 psi for 5 days. so, hopefully in less then two weeks, beer at my house. good luck on yours by the way!

You don't need move it to secondary unless you're adding fruit or dry hopping. For best results leave it in primary for 2-4 weeks, then bottle or keg. Airlock activity really isn't a reliable gauge of what's up with your beer. The airlock is really just a pressure relief valve.

I have been reading up a lot on not using the secondary and just leaving in the primary until bottling. Might end up going that route.

My biggest concern is I did not strain out any of the hops, so I was going to use the secondary as somewhat of a filtering mechanism for clearer beer.

I have read about some methods of adding a filter mesh to the siphon. That might do what I need to go straight to bottling.

You can always strain before you carbonate it in your bottles or your kegging system. I would leave it in your primary.

I never strain out any of the... anything. A lot of people tie a straining bag to the end of their siphon. You can try that. But just watch what you're doing when you siphon your beer so you don't get too much trub. Anything that does make it into the bottles will sink to the bottom, and it'll be a lot less than you'd think.

If you practice proper racking techniques from the primary to the bottling bucket then youll be good to go, whether or not you strained.

Back