So Cal Noobie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DadOfRad

Reaction score
Well, after weeks and weeks of research and deliberation I finally took the plunge! I went down to my LHBS and purchased my first kit. Just the basics but still everything I need to brew my first batch. Thanks to everyone on this site for helping me get started. Here goes nothin'!

Good luck!

Since you are in Torrance, you might try stopping by the second Wednesday of every month (~7pm) for the Strand Brewers Club meeting. Next one is coming up Feb 13th and will be at South Bay Brewing Supply.

Thanks for the heads up, I just might do that. That is, after all, where I purchased my equipment today. Can't wait to get started!

Brew-jay, you ever look into the Brewcommune club? We're in OC.

Even though I'm in OC, I do my shopping w/ Glenn at S. Bay Brewing Supply in Torrance. I go there almost every Friday (I work right by there). Good place!

JonW said:
Brew-jay, you ever look into the Brewcommune club? We're in OC.

Even though I'm in OC, I do my shopping w/ Glenn at S. Bay Brewing Supply in Torrance. I go there almost every Friday (I work right by there). Good place!

I will now. Thanks.

Well I finally had my window and I seized it. After a couple of false starts (wife, kids, working six days a week) I finally embarked on my first brew day today. Had a great time and I enjoyed the process but I'm a little concerned. While chilling the wort in an ice bath in the kitchen sink I dropped two ice cubes in the brew kettle. I quickly fished them out with a clean stir paddle, continued chilling, then transferred to the fermenting bucket. Overly paranoid or room for concern? Any advice?

Welcome from Colorado!

Ice cubes are unlikely to cause an infection, unless you spit into the ice tray. Hopefully the stir paddle was sanitized, but even if not, little chance of an issue. Sanetize EVERYTHING that touches your beer on the cold side.

Where in Torrance are you? I was just in South Bay Homebrew today and I'm finishing up my brewday right now.

Thanks Colorado! That sets my mind at ease. And duly noted on sanitizing. The stir paddle was not yet sanitized but I am hoping it's fine since it was the stir paddle I used for the boil. Just checked it this morning and it's beginning to do its thing. There's a slow bubble in the airlock. Fingers crossed!

Hey Brewsmith, I'm in West Torrance near the South Bay Galleria. I really like South Bay Homebrew Supply. That's where I got all my stuff for my first brew. I think I'm hooked! Ready to start planning my next batch.

Back