So Cal harvest time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastHerder

Reaction score
I planted a couple cascade rhizomes in a planter box around beginning of April. I make my own fertilizer/compost from spent grains and leaves from around the yard. They grew to about 16 feet in 3 months. A bunch of the hops on it seem ripe now, so I picked some this morning - picture attached.. Are these ripe or am I picking too early?

Also, I plan to use them for dry hopping - is there anything special I should do to 'sanitize' them or, after drying them out, just use like they were from the LHBS?

Thanks!

cascade 20160731a.jpg

First, I need to emphasize that picking harvest time is a very site specific decision. I'm in WI and I can tell you our harvest has been plus or minus 2 weeks from another grower 2 valleys (3 miles) over due to different microclimates.

Furthermore, your first year is a bit different than subsequent because its based on the time you planted instead of when they first popped up. Expect next year to be considerably different.

You've got the right idea. Looking at you picture I would guess they still have a little ways to go. You want them to be papery. As they reach maturity, they will start to drop in moisture content. Keep smelling them because oils and aromas are the last to develop. If you really want to be sure, take a few and make a tea. If that tea doesn't taste like the blandest IPA you ever had, let them go longer. If you taste that tea and think, "that's the flavor I'm looking for from a dry hop," then pick away.

Hey Yeastherder. great to see other local folks growing hops. We've been growing in Rancho Cucamonga for three years. We have cascades that have cones on now that are still 2-3 weeks from harvest. Those looks like they still have moisture in them and if you have any more, leave them on the bine for a bit longer. Pull them when the cones feel papery and light. Happy growing!

Back