Smoked Wheat Cherry Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just started my newest batch a 2 gallon Smoked Cherry Wheat Sour, using philly sour yeast.

[ ] 1lb 4oz German Wheat
[ ] 12oz Cherry Smoked Wheat
[ ] 8oz Golden Naked Oats
[ ] 1oz Ekuanot
[ ] 8oz Lactose
[ ] 4oz Brewer's Crystals
[ ] 3lb Mixed Dark Tart and Black Cherries
[ ] 11g Philly Sour Yeast
[ ] 1tsp Irish Moss
[ ] 3g Feemaid O

Mashed for 90 minutes, temp held between 150-55 (+/- 5)
Boiled for 75 minutes
Added lactose, brewer's crystals, and fermaid-o during boil.
Irish moss added in last 15 minuets of boil.
Cooled wort to 180°f added hops for 10 minutes.

Planning to Puree and Add cherries to primary on day 10, leave in for additional 14 days, then add carbonation drops and bottle carb for 30 days.

OG 1.038

Mash volume was 3.5 gallon
Post boil volume 2.5 gallon, over about my planned volume of 2 gallon and planned OG of 1.048.

That's ... interesting. I did a Lichtenhainer with Philly Sour and oak-smoked wheat. It medaled somewhere! I'm guessing that's because the judges didn't know what one tasted like, either. I also made an apricot rauchbier which was ... not so good.

You will have to post again in a few weeks and let us know how it turns out.

Did you cherry smoke the wheat yourself, or is there a maltster who does it? I know Briess has a cherrywood-smoked barley, and there are a few oak-smoked wheats out there.

That's ... interesting. I did a Lichtenhainer with Philly Sour and oak-smoked wheat. It medaled somewhere! I'm guessing that's because the judges didn't know what one tasted like, either. I also made an apricot rauchbier which was ... not so good.

You will have to post again in a few weeks and let us know how it turns out.

Did you cherry smoke the wheat yourself, or is there a maltster who does it? I know Briess has a cherrywood-smoked barley, and there are a few oak-smoked wheats out there.
I got to from my local homebrew store, my guess is it is Briess (just based on their having posters and stickers on their for for briess and no other brands) but they don't say specifically on their website.

I got to from my local homebrew store, my guess is it is Briess (just based on their having posters and stickers on their for for briess and no other brands) but they don't say specifically on their website.
No maltster I know of makes a cherry-smoked wheat. Briess makes cherry-smoked barley. Weyermann and Viking make oak-smoked wheat. Sugar Creek (my favorite maltster/smoker!) makes cherry-smoked barley and oats. Not a big issue for your recipe if it's not wheat, or if it's not cherry. But I'm curious to know, if you can figure it out.

Latest posts

Back