Smoked cherry vanilla Imperial stout recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingTravisty

Reaction score
Ok so, I'm trying to hone my recipe making skills and would love to hear some input on this, it's going to be an oak age smoked cherry vanilla imperial stout. I'm still pretty new to this all but I think this looks like a fairly solid recipe but any suggestions would be much appreciated, as well as critiques.

Est OG 1.102
IBU 64.5
SRM 58
Est FG 1.026
Est ABV 10.1%

Grain bill:
10lbs 2-row
5 lbs munich
2lbs cherry smoked malt
1lb flaked oaks
1lb roasted barley
1lb chocolate malt
1lb crystal 120

Mash @154 for 60 minutes with 5.75 gallons of water

Sparge with 4 gallons of 170°f water

Hops:
2oz galena (90 minutes)
1oz northern brewer (30 minutes)
1oz northern brewer (10 minutes)

Pitching onto yeast cake from a small red ale using us-05

Now I just wanna know how much cherry and vanilla you would add? And when? And in what form?
3 gallons of this will be aged in oak casks, the following 2 gallons will be aged in 2 1 gallon glass containers.

Typically a stout has a small amount black patent to give it that little bit of bite. What you got there looks more like a porter recipe.

But I would fruit it in secondary with real cherry puree. Many people will soak a few vanilla beans in vodka for a few days then add all that to the bottling bucket or keg.

Typically a stout has a small amount black patent to give it that little bit of bite. What you got there looks more like a porter recipe.

But I would fruit it in secondary with real cherry puree. Many people will soak a few vanilla beans in vodka for a few days then add all that to the bottling bucket or keg.

Oh ok, I was going to add black patent but I heard a lot of bad things about astrigency from it. How much would you recommend I add?

Black Patent has to be used in moderation, that's for sure.
Just a little like 4oz should be fine and will not give you any astringency.

You don't really have to use it. It's up to you. If you are still experimenting with grains and trying to learn what tastes like what, I would suggest leaving out the black patent this time around and brewing a simpler stout recipe later on with it so you can taste its peculiarities.

Black Patent has to be used in moderation, that's for sure.
Just a little like 4oz should be fine and will not give you any astringency.

You don't really have to use it. It's up to you. If you are still experimenting with grains and trying to learn what tastes like what, I would suggest leaving out the black patent this time around and brewing a simpler stout recipe later on with it so you can taste its peculiarities.

Ok, I might just do that, brew a smaller stout later with it then. I'm hoping to have this one ready for Christmas, hopefully Thats a long enough time to age for it to be good. I should be brewing it next Sunday I hope.

Back