Smoked Acerglyn recipe formation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamtbest

Reaction score
Thanks for taking a minute to look at my recipe idea for a smoked Acerglyn.
First I'd like feedback if my thought is insane or sounds awesome or somewhere in between.

A little background info, I've brewed beer for years. I'm not as versed in the mead world. I've never had a Acerglyn or mead with maple syrup. I like really smoke beers like Schlenkerla Urbock, and I've developed a taste for Laphroaig Scotch. So I like strong smokey flavors.

I got the idea for smoked mead here: http://chopandbrew.com/recipes/smoked-mead/

This is where I'm getting information on Acerglyn:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mead/comments/33sihl/tips_for_first_acerglyn/
http://meadist.com/making-mead/mead-recipes/sparkling-oaked-acerglyn-maple-mead-recipe/

3 gallon batch
  • 3 gal water
  • 5 lbs Wildflower Honey
  • 3tsp Yeast nutriuent
  • 1 packet
    ir
    Lalvin D-47
  • 1 tbsp acid blend
  • 1 tbsp yeast energizer
  • 32 oz Canadian Maple Syrup
Estimate 1.090 original gravity

I plan on smoking all 5 lbs of honey in my home smoker like Chop and Brew for close to 2 hours, except I have oak for smoking. Then I plan on making the recipe above with smoked honey.

I've even thrown around the idea of oak in secondary before bottling, also having maple syrup with secondary. I really hope to have something intensely smokey and like the descriptions have something that reminds you of whiskey or scotch.

Smoked beer is something that goes great with a BBQ pork chop or even a smoked turkey leg, Walmart sells them. I'd like something that would go great with big flavored meats.

Sounds good and intriguing! Being a beer brewer, you are likely fermenting in a 5 gal or larger fermenter but just keep in mind the water displacement that the honey and syrup will create. What container will you use to smoke the honey in, for curiosity's sake?

My water amount might be off because I didn't think to take into account the honey and syrup water displacement. For my meads I have 3 gallon glass carboys.
When I smoke the honey I have a vertical propane smoker. I was thinking about putting the honey in an aluminum foil pan. I was thinking it would be best to try to keep temps on the lower side in the smoker.

I had really good results using a quality lapsang souchong looseleaf tea in a metheglyn. Really nice smooth smoky note, like scotch. I added medium and heavy toast oak in secondary. I steeped the tea very strong and replaced the water in primary with it. Much easier than smoking honey and no risk of losing any of the delicate flavor notes.

I was thinking about putting the honey in an aluminum foil pan. I was thinking it would be best to try to keep temps on the lower side in the smoker.

That should certainly work, I've smoked enough food in foil pans to know that sometimes you get a bit of aluminum tang that leached into the foods when using foil, this may make it's way into the honey. Do you have any oven safe ceramic/stoneware bowls that would be "neutral" as far as imparting flavors? That's what I'd personally do if I was going through the trouble of smoking the honey. It's your creation and method though and it's a fun journey, I'm sure you'll have a fine end product!

I had really good results using a quality lapsang souchong looseleaf tea in a metheglyn. Really nice smooth smoky note, like scotch. I added medium and heavy toast oak in secondary. I steeped the tea very strong and replaced the water in primary with it. Much easier than smoking honey and no risk of losing any of the delicate flavor notes.

That's a great idea and a great tea! As soon as it starts steeping, it reminds me of campfire, so comforting!

I would reserve one gallon till all other liquids are in, then fill to about 3 1/4 gallons. When you rack after primary set.the extra in a smaller container to use for topping later as you rack off lees and/or replace evaporated liquid.

I think I'm going to change my recipe to include Lapsang Souchong. I've never heard of this tea until now. I tried a cup of it and it's one of my favorite teas.

In my brew water I sparged 1 oz of lapsang souchong in my brew in a bag. Then I used the water the brew the recipe above. I only used 2.5 gallons of water instead of 3 gallons. time will tell how it turns out.

Sorry for the late reply. It was one of those things I put off and finally got to it. I have to say I really like it. I like German smoke beer or rauchbier. This turned out like a mead rauchbier it’s maple bacon like and very smoky.

Your idea is very similar to what I wanted to try.

My goal is a Smokey spiced Acerglyn. I was originally thinking of smoking the honey in glass pans and use 2 to 1 (honey to maple syrup) ratio. I thought about adding some vanilla beans and orange rinds in secondary to add complexity to the flavor. Maybe include a few cinnamon sticks too?

Did you end up smoking your honey or did you just stick with the tea?

I was planning on using either D47 or LV1118 yeast. What did you do for a feeding schedule? Do you need to use yeast feeders with maple syrup?

Back