Foam on top of Acerglyn- normal after 3 weeks in primary ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbwo

Reaction score
I made a Acerglyn with 1.7 lbs wildflower honey and 1.3 lbs maple syrup in a 1 gallon batch. It had a Krausen for a couple of days then foam at the top. It is 3 weeks in and although the Krausen has fallen the foam is still there. Is this normal ? I used Lalvin QA-23 yeast.

My only experience with a foam that was not normal and continued was from what I believe was adulterated honey... In my particular case, I ended up dumping it because it was so out of character and I wanted "mead"; not some franken-mead that some a-hole counterfeiter was forcing on me.

I did a 1 gallon acerglyn and it was really foamy at the start, so much that the foam came through the airlock and went down the jug on the second day, I think it had a foam cap for 2 or 3 weeks. Yeast was lalvin d47 and the honey was buckwheat from a trusted source, I think it might be that maple syrup has more nutrients than honey resulting in a more vigorous fermentation. Also curious if you used a full pack of yeast? I used a whole pack because I don't like saving partial packs which may have contributed to the foaming.

Back