Smoke Malt % in a IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
I have a recipe for an big IIPA that I want to age. The recipe is just FWH bitterness and a little 10 minute flavor addition for a calculated 110 IBU's. Knowing that no aroma will be maintained I won't waste my time or hops but I would like to add a little more dimension by adding a mild smoke flavor to the background of this beer and am curious what anyone thinks about a percentage of smoke malt.
Current grain bill is 84% 2-row, 7% Flaked Wheat, 4.7% Caramel malt, and 4.7% Victory.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would brew / ferment the smoked malt separately, then blend at bottling. You can't take the genie out of the bottle, so to speak, DIPAs are too expensive to ruin.

Or, brew a small batch experiment first.

I brew a smoked IPA that has an OG of 1.072 and uses about 15% freshly smoked malt. If I was buying commercially smoked malt, I'd probably up that.

I recently made a classic Rauchbier that had 62% Weyermann smoked malt and wasn't overly smoky.

Ok, so here's the story behind all this. I brewed an IIPA about 10 months ago. OG was 1.095 and bitterness at 110, I believe. I utilize a stainless hop spider. With the grain bill as large as it was I was only able to do a 5.5 gallon batch in my mash tun. I put my spider on the bottom of my brew kettle to do a FWH and forgot to take it off the bottom when the wort reached a good level.
Meanwhile hop dust from the pellets make their way through the mesh and are trapped underneath. They scorch during the full boil and I didn't notice until chilled and cleaning up. So, the initial tasting of this beer was horrible but I decided that I would just store them and see what happened. After about 8 months of bottle condition I and few friends decided to chill and try a few. Surficeit to say, they are absolutely wonderful. I've given a few to some of my "beer snob" friends and have had replies such as greatest beer they've ever had, awesome, unbelievable complexity, better than many of the commercial beers available, etc.
Now, with all that said I would like to reproduce it without scorching my hops to the bottom of my kettle.
I posted about this when it happened and it was suggested to wait and I'm glad I did.
So I'm looking for ideas on how to replicate this.

So if I changed the style to "Other Smoked Beer" with a higher than normal IBU level would the following grain bill give me a "slight" smokiness? It's the original grain bill for a 5.5 gallon batch with the added smoked malt.

18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 9 76.6 %
2 lbs Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 10 8.5 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 11 6.4 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 12 4.3 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) Grain 13 4.3 %

Back