Smelly starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celticway

Reaction score
So this is my first time using White Labs California V. Made a 7 liter starter last night with it. Today it is really pungent smelling. Starters never smell great but this one has me concerned. Making the started went well except when opening one of the vials, it bubbled over and ran down my fingers and into the starter. My hands were sanitized but with this sting smell now I am concerned.

Anyone know if this is typical of Cali V?

My guess is its probably fine.NOthing you can do about it anyways,it will turn out,if it doesnt give it more time.Lets drink beer.!

Next time, don't stick you nose in your starters, it doesn't belong there. Fermentation is ugly and stinky and perfectly normal.

Sulfur is a often a natural byproduct of certain yeasts.

It's fine.

Revvy said:
Next time, don't stick you nose in your starters, it doesn't belong there. Fermentation is ugly and stinky and perfectly normal.

Sulfur is a often a natural byproduct of certain yeasts.

It's fine.

Yeah your right, although I didn't have to. My kitchen stunk up nicely. Well smells much better now. Brought it down to the brew shed and put it into the fridge. Sleep well little stinky bastards, for Sunday you shall create beer!

Back