Smelly fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22Jackson

Reaction score
On Friday I started a 5 gallon batch of cranberry braggot and the fermentation is going strong but it's extremely odorous. I was gone over the weekend and my apartment smells like the inside of the fermenter. I've never had this happen before and I'm wondering if I botched my sanitation somewhere and have a serious infection on my hands? Some advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

+1 to some fermentatons just stink. I read a lot of suphur smell (i.e. rotten eggs) complaints, but there are others, too.

Relax.

I've always loved the smells of my beers. I sometimes hang out in the closet and bask in the aroma. Your results may vary and I'm curious as to the results of this beer. Never had one stink up more than my closet.

I did a cider once and it smelt of rotten eggs. My house-mates were furious when the house smelt like it. It was caused by sulphur dioxide. When I tasted the brew after about 2 weeks in the bottle, it tasted like eggs. I chucked them out. I found a bottle I forgot to chuck out after about 3 months. I was delicious. Long story short, never chuck it away, no matter how bad it tastes/smells in the short term. It is too early to tell.

I have some apfelwein fermenting right now. As a matter of fact, it has really taken off today. It smells....wooooo doggy does it smell! It's sure gonna taste good though.

+1 to the sulpher smell, +1 to the beer farts.

My last batch of Dunkel smelled my basement up like a whole bucket full of farts. get used to it

Back