Smelly beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
I made an allagash white clone a few weeks ago and when i kegged it it smelled very yeastie. After a week in the keg it still smells funky. Will this subside after awhile? Sucks, i was really looking forward to this batch, and now i might have to pour the **** out.

I actually just tasted it and it doesn't taste bad at all, i just wasnt expecting the smell. I've made a belgian before but used dry yeast, this was white labs Belgian Ale yeast.

I agree with JiveTurkey. A lot, probably most, of the Belgian yeasts are very dominant in their flavor profile over the other flavors like malt and hops. That's somewhat of a benchmark for a lot of Belgian beers is to have the yeast provide a lot of the characteristic flavors while the others are in the background or are more subtle. As opposed to something like an amber, APA, or IPA where the malt and/or hops are desired to be at the front of the flavor profile, so you tend to use a fairly clean neutral yeast so as not to overpower the malt/hop flavors.

I brewed an IPA with a belgian yeast in November that tasted great but stunk bad. I let it sit in the keg for about a month and the stench went away.

Sit on it for awhile, it will likely improve. I think it was because I ran my starter too long. I didn't get around to brewing for a couple weeks which was probably too long for my starter even though it was a 4L one.

Back