Smells like apple juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamina1

Reaction score
Took a hydrometer reading to check on fermentation for my very first batch of beer this evening and I'm disconcerted that it smells like apple juice. :confused:

It was fermented with Safale US-05 and I'm not sure its quite "done" yet because the sample tasted pretty yeasty, so I'm going to cold crash it before bottling it this weekend.

It's sitting at about 1.009 right now which is right on the money for the recipe I used.

It tasted good, but is the apple juice smell something to be worried about? Is that diacetyl?

What temperature was it fermented at? Could be a bunch of things but you saying it smells like apple juice makes me think of esters which are produced by high fermentation temps.

+1 on Biscuits comment. If you're not fermenting inside the optimal temperature range for the strain of yeast, it can produce esters which smell fruity.

What temperature was it fermented at? Could be a bunch of things but you saying it smells like apple juice makes me think of esters which are produced by high fermentation temps.

It was pitched earlier than it should have been (around 80F), but that was almost 2 weeks ago and it's been solidly between 68-71 the entire time after that.

I forgot that the recipe included Flaked Corn, which apparently can provide an apple cidery kind of flavor... maybe I added too much?

Here's the recipe for reference (based on the Brewer's Best kit, but scaled down and turned all-grain)

I don't think it is your corn. I make a very light beer using 1.5 lbs. of flaked corn (2 gallon batch) and I don't get any apple flavor. If the ambient temps where your fermenter are between 68-71, the internal temp could be upwards of 74-74 degrees, which would be too high for US-05, unless of course you were aiming to get ester flavors. I'd say the most likely culprit is the temperature, but there are a slew of things that could be the reason or contributing factors.

remember, if your outside temps are 70f your fermentor is gonna be at least 5f warmer. ive seen mine go up 10f when its fermenting.

You definitely fermented too hot. The ideal range for that yeast is 59-71 degrees, and that's in relation to active fermentation- basically the first few days when you came down from ~80 to ~70. I always keep my fermentations on the lower end of the yeast's range; it might take a little longer to ferment, but there's virtually no chance of getting fusels. 68-71 is usually okay for any ale yeast after active fermentation, but is getting dangerously close to the high side during peak fermentation.

Bottle it up, let it sit for 6+ months and taste it periodically. It might end up drinkable after a long while.

I don't think it is your corn. I make a very light beer using 1.5 lbs. of flaked corn (2 gallon batch) and I don't get any apple flavor. If the ambient temps where your fermenter are between 68-71, the internal temp could be upwards of 74-74 degrees, which would be too high for US-05, unless of course you were aiming to get ester flavors. I'd say the most likely culprit is the temperature, but there are a slew of things that could be the reason or contributing factors.

Well unfortunately 71 is the best I can do as it's summer and my basement is what it is.

It *tastes* fine, it just smells like apple juice so it should be okay. And it's my VERY FIRST BATCH. Should still be okay for drinking and get you :drunk:

Well unfortunately 71 is the best I can do as it's summer and my basement is what it is.

It *tastes* fine, it just smells like apple juice so it should be okay. And it's my VERY FIRST BATCH. Should still be okay for drinking and get you :drunk:

A swamp cooler like this one will help quite a lot - towel or tshirt wicks water up and cools as it evaporates. You can get cooler temps if you point a fan at it:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=5386084&postcount=3

If you haven't bottled yet, let it sit another week or so. If primary fermentation is finished, sitting around on the cake at 70 won't hurt the beer (unless you have a very large volume in a conical) and ester production shouldn't be a concern. It just might need another few days for the yeast to clean up the beer. Just my two cents.

If you haven't bottled yet, let it sit another week or so. If primary fermentation is finished, sitting around on the cake at 70 won't hurt the beer (unless you have a very large volume in a conical) and ester production shouldn't be a concern. It just might need another few days for the yeast to clean up the beer. Just my two cents.

It's been very quiet for over a week, and I'm assuming its done. There's a very noticeable trub on the bottom. I was going to put it in my fridge overnight tonight and bottle it tomorrow. Should I just wait another week?

HAHA, I like your spirit! I agree, it's not going to ruin the beer..but in the future, when you're interested in making the best, most presentable beer, look into some type of fermentation control. Until then...DRINK ON! :rockin:

Meh, it's Michigan and it will be cool enough down in the basement soon enough (50 or so) :)

Don't discount the advice. Swamp coolers are cheap and an easy way to keep your ferment temps in ideal ranges. It can make a drinkeable beer into a very good beer which is what I'd always be going for. Otherwise if ya don't want do to that then brew beers mostly Belgians where high ferm temps are desired to get the fruity esters. Just a thought. Two more months here in Michigan and your basement should be in ideal range for ales, IPAs and the like where you don't want temps getting out of the 70's.

Back