smell ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwill69

Reaction score
Hi, everyone... ive made only 4 batches of cider soo im learning. but my first 3 gallon apple cider i had to dump due to the horrible smell..it tasted good but the smell was too much. So then i made a simpler 1 gallon..it was just apple cider, nutrient, and 1/2 cup sugar,d-47 yeast. Its fine ,Im actally drinking one now. But then i made a pineapple cider...juice,nutrient,d-47. The first one was good but couple days later they smell. Now i have a cherry/apple goin and it smell like the others in the airlock..im really getting discouraged..is this a common problem? all of them fermented out in about 3 weeks. Also why (cold crash) . and are lees just spent yeast? Help me out guys.. I started with beer..now i want to ferment everything.Love this HOBBY/ADDICTION.:mug:

Search Rhino Farts. They are normal.

Cold Crashing removes particulates in the solution making it become clearer.

Lees is mostly dead or residual yeast, but also particulates from the juice that wasn't fully filtered out.

I've noticed that some of the "cider" yeast strains throw off sulphur a lot more than the Champagne or wine yeasts do. About 3-4 weeks in a secondary cleared up the stench very well.

Sure, you can make cider in 4-6 weeks, but it's one of those things that starts to get "better" at 2 months, 6 months, etc. The cider I have going now (just racked to secondary) probably wont get bottled until early March.

Back