Smell of cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thyirishmen

Reaction score
So I used 2 gallons of fresh pressed cider and a vile of wlp007. I fermented at 70 for 2 days and dropped it down to 67. It has been at 67 for 14 days. When I took the airlock off the cider smells like green apple. Is this just a sign it needs to keep aging? Should I take it out of primary now and keg it and wait a while?

Sounds normal to me. The cider is probably still pretty tart, but I'll bet if you let it age for a while it will mellow out nicely. To me young ciders always taste and smell green-apple-ish.

Seems like you have a good cider going! Many people after a few weeks of fermenting have ciders that still smell like sour yeast/rhino fart (depends on type of AJ, yeast, etc), and for the most part those all turn out really good after aging. I agree with the person above, it will have sharper flavors when it is "green", or young, and will really mellow after aging. Let us know how it tastes next time you taste it!

It is crystal clear. And when it was started looked like mud from the fresh pressed apples. I think it's good to transfer to keg and allow to age a bit.

image-3267719913.jpg This was it being fg tested.

image-2377416953.jpg
This was a first batch I did a week earlier.

image-2033808271.jpg

This is it.

Back