SMaSH: Which hop???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
I'm getting back to a series of SMaSH 'IPA' brews after a successful, punch-in-the-mouth DIPA. Next up is Vienna malt and one of the following:

Legacy (very interested in this one, but thought about leaving it for Munich)

Northern Brewer (seems to be a popular companion to Vienna)

Ekuanot (love this in my dipa, need to understand it better)

Azacca (soft, fruity, berries, almost sweet. This may work well here.)

Making a brew around 6.5%, 50-60 IBU. 8oz/5gal. That's my typical SMaSH procedure, anyway.

What would you use with Vienna?

Ekuanot i think azacca would do better with somthing a little more malty like munich. Not a huge fan of nothern idk why.

Ekuanot would be a definite candidate, but I've read it can give off some " bell pepper " flavours...but needs to be tested.

I've actually used Azacca along with other hops in a NE style IPA, but being combined with other hops I cannot see how it will be on its own. It should be good, albeit not as potent as other hops.

I am getting close to finishing off a month old keg of single hop Azacca IPA. 2.5 gal batch. 70% MO, 12% wheat, 10% Munich and 8% C-60. 7% ABV. 70 IBU calculated, 30 for bittering and the rest at flameout, then dry hopped with a couple oz.
I loved this one, lots of tropical fruit and to my palate, some melon. I did a Cashmere earlier in the year that was even better, a melon bomb. I will be using both Azacca and Cashmere in my next one.

Latest posts

Back