SMaSH ale advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmypop13

Reaction score
Hi, for my birthday I received that Northern Brewer box of South African hops and I'd like to make a SMaSH ale to test out one of the varieties. I only have three ounces of this N1/69 hop to use and it's listed as 13.4% alpha acid. For malt I have ten pounds of Crisp Marris Otter. Could someone please critique my recipe and tell me if I should move some of the boil hops to the dry hops or change any of the amounts. I don't want crazy bitterness but I do want lots of flavor and aroma.

Recipe looks like this:
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012
IBU: 40.8 IBU
Color: 4.7 SRM
ABV: 5.1%
Batch size: 5.5 gallons

Ingredients:
10 lbs crisp Marris Otter
0.5oz N1/69 13.4% hops 60 minute boil
0.5oz N1/69 hops 20 minute boil
0.5oz N1/69 hops 2 minute boil
0.5oz N1/69 hops 170* whirlpool addition for 10-20 minutes
1.0oz N1/69 hops added after fermentation as dry hops for 4 days
2 packets Nottingham dry yeast

I'm having a hard time deciding when to add hops and how much to use. Any help or advice would be awesome.
Thank you!

If you have a limited amount of a new hop variety, I would recommend using something else for clean bittering (warrior, magnum, apollo, etc.) to free up an extra 0.5 oz of the N1/69. And depending on how long your system takes to chill, maybe think about combining the 20 and 2 minute additions somewhere around 10 minutes. If it takes you a while to get down to 170, push that addition later in the boil. If it doesn't take long, push it to like 15 minutes.

If it were me, I'd probably do something like:
25 IBU @ 60
0.5oz @ 15
1.0oz @ whirlpool
1.5oz @ dry hop

If you have a limited amount of a new hop variety, I would recommend using something else for clean bittering (warrior, magnum, apollo, etc.) to free up an extra 0.5 oz of the N1/69. And depending on how long your system takes to chill, maybe think about combining the 20 and 2 minute additions somewhere around 10 minutes. If it takes you a while to get down to 170, push that addition later in the boil. If it doesn't take long, push it to like 15 minutes.

If it were me, I'd probably do something like:
25 IBU @ 60
0.5oz @ 15
1.0oz @ whirlpool
1.5oz @ dry hop

Thanks! Sounds like a smart idea.

Back