Smallest Etched Kettle Available?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MentalThinking

As opposed to the other kinds.
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm slowly piecing together a small batch AG BIAB setup, and obviously, the kettle is a big part of the equation.

I really, really like the kettles I've seen with etched measurements for liquid levels - but, the smallest I've seen seems to be a 5.5G Anvil kettle. I'm looking to do 1-1.25 gallon batches, which with 'rule of thumb' I've found a few places around here means I'd want a three gallon, or maybe four.

Does anyone know of an etched kettle that'd suit my brewing needs?

Alternatively, if I did go with a larger pot - keeping in mind that small batch brewing is my long term interest, not simply a stepping stone for me - am I going to have issues with small batch brewing, such as too much loss during the boil?

If you’re a bit of a DIY’er you could etch your own markings into any kettle. How to add permanent volume markings to a kettle

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/How-to-add-permanent-volume-markings-to-a-kettle-(illustrated).463099/

+1 on this. I've done it, and it is easy... particularly if you're doing a smaller pot and want to keep it simple. I went crazy with my 62qt Bayou Classic, as I wanted long fancy lines and half gallon markings... and there were 30 lines to put in... (pic below), but if you were doing a simple line setup on a 3-4 gallon pot, it could be done in an hour or two. And it is fun, and it gives you a little sentimental attachment to your kettle! (For me, tinkering is half the fun.)

Also, as far as kettle losses are concerned, there may be an issue with the proportional amount of losses in a kettle (i.e., a half gallon of loss at the bottom of a kettle in a 3 gallon batch is more significant than a half gallon loss in a 10 gallon batch)... but you'll just learn to compensate for that in your recipes.

Mark you kettle, brew your small batches, and do your own thing!

2019-02-28 00.14.16.jpg

Thanks folks!

I've got this 12 quart stock pot in my amazon cart. Stock pots in Canada that aren't super thin aluminum seem pretty pricey, but this one is at least very well reviewed.

Provided I don't find anything better, it's likely the one I'll go with.

Back