smaller batch, 3.5 gallon bucket suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
i wanted to check if anyone else used 3.5 gallon buckets for brewing smaller batches. i've been wanting to get some so i can make two small 2.5-3 gallon batches of stuff i want to experiment with. i've tried 1 gallon batches but after all the volume loss from trub, blow off, and bottling bucket leftover, i usually only end up with only 7-8 bottles max. i wanted to check if anyone used 3.5 gallon buckets. i also wanted to see if i just doing 2.5 gallon batches would work or if that would be too much head space in the fermenter and cause oxidation.

Here is what i was thinking of getting:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XABC0L8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
i wanted to check if anyone else used 3.5 gallon buckets for brewing smaller batches. i've been wanting to get some so i can make two small 2.5-3 gallon batches of stuff i want to experiment with. i've tried 1 gallon batches but after all the volume loss from trub, blow off, and bottling bucket leftover, i usually only end up with only 7-8 bottles max. i wanted to check if anyone used 3.5 gallon buckets. i also wanted to see if i just doing 2.5 gallon batches would work or if that would be too much head space in the fermenter and cause oxidation.

Here is what i was thinking of getting:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XABC0L8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have bought these from the bakery at my local grocery store for $1-2 each including the lid. A rubber grommet is 50 cents at a home improvement store. You can also buy 5 gallon white food grade buckets from Walmart for $4-5 including the lid. I have fermented 2 gallon batches in these with 2-3 gallons head space for the primary vessel with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bought these from the bakery at my local grocery store for $1-2 each including the lid. A rubber grommet is 50 cents at a home improvement store. You can also buy 5 gallon white food grade buckets from Walmart for $4-5 including the lid.

i;m already using 5 gallon food grade buckets from lowes. i figured they would be too big for 2.5-3 gallon batches. i'll check with some local bakeries but in terms of fresh baked goods nearby we mostly only have donut places and places that make bosnian/middle eastern bread.

i;m already using 5 gallon food grade buckets from lowes. i figured they would be too big for 2.5-3 gallon batches. i'll check with some local bakeries but in terms of fresh baked goods nearby we mostly only have donut places and places that make bosnian/middle eastern bread.

I have brewed probably 50+ batches in buckets of 5 gallon volume with only 2.5 to 3 gallon of wort and the large head space has never been an issue. I would often brew 5-6 gallons and split these into 2 smaller batches to ferment with different yeast or dry hop. Extra head space was never an issue for fermenting in the primary.

I have brewed probably 50+ batches in buckets of 5 gallon volume with only 2.5 to 3 gallon of wort and the large head space has never been an issue. I would often brew 5-6 gallons and split these into 2 smaller batches to ferment with different yeast or dry hop. Extra head space was never an issue for fermenting in the primary.

maybe i'm thinking of folks saying it's more of an issue with secondary fermenters since there is not CO2 put off from the yeast to keep oxygen out?

I would often brew 5-6 gallons and split these into 2 smaller batches to ferment with different yeast or dry hop.

Ditto, this is a good idea. I have dual fermentation chambers that fit 7.9 gal fermentors, but also have these 5 gal buckets for split batches. And I believe you are correct about secondaries, you won't have any issue for active fermentation.

I had some fun last winter by doing a 3-3.5 gal batch in a 5 gal fermenter. Started off with a BB Imperial Blonde Ale kit & added:

12 oz honey
1# Amber DME
1# 2 row pale malt
1# Special roast malt

1oz each:
Citra
Simcoe
Chinook
Cascade

The OG ended up at 1.112! I made a half gallon starter with 2 sachets of US-05 & got about 12% ABV (bottle carbed) I'm thinking it finished at 1.025.

It turned out a lot better than I ever expected. It did take about 4-6 weeks to bottle carb. Just thought if share that, a fun & easy way to brew a massive beer without too much cost.

I didn't seem to have any issues with off flavors using a 5+ Gal fermenter on this or other 3-3.5 Gal batches I've done.

I've done many many half batches in 5 gallon fermentors. The head space will fill up with the c02 from fermentation and it will bubble away like there's 5 gallons in there. You're good. Spend your money on equipment upgrades or more grain/hops! :)

Brewing 2.5-3 gallon batches is a lot of fun. You spend half the amount on the ingredients so you get to brew twice as often. I usually get about a 24 pack from a 2.5 gallon batch so it's nice to have several cases full of different styles of beer. It's a great way to spend winter... brewing tons of beer!

alright, i know that the CO2 will keep too much oxygen from getting to the beer to be an issue, but i wanted to check if dry hopping would cause any issues. wouldn't most of the CO2 layer escape? or would i be okay if it was done quickly?

CO2 is heavier than the air around you. It will stay on your beer like a blanket if you open the bucket slowly.

I started on an electric stove doing 3 gallon batches because I couldn't hold a boil on the stoves weak coil with more volume. I fermented in 5 gallon carboys. It worked well and produced around 30 or so beers.

Back