Headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LocoLandon81

Reaction score
I have a 3.5 gal. bucket I want to use for primary on a traditional mead. The recipe I’m gonna use is for 5 gallons so I want to just halve it and only do 2.5 gallons. Will that amount of headspace be ok in primary since l’ll have that CO2 cap or should I not risk it and just bump up the recipe for a 3 gallon batch?

There is no such thing as a co2 cap. Depending on your bucket it might be ok to do as you said or not. If your bucket is air tight there's no problem. If it isn't, there should be a new bucket before starting!

There is no such thing as a co2 cap. Depending on your bucket it might be ok to do as you said or not. If your bucket is air tight there's no problem. If it isn't, there should be a new bucket before starting!
Ok! Didn’t know that about the CO2, so thank you.

Probably best just to adjust the recipe to three gallons. Thanks again.

Ok! Didn’t know that about the CO2, so thank you.

Probably best just to adjust the recipe to three gallons. Thanks again.
If your bucket is leaking, this won´t make that much of a difference. Once fermentation slows down, oxygen will get inside. Wether or not there is 2.5 or 3 gallons inside.

I ferment 1G batches in a 2G bucket with a loose foil cover. At the end of a week or two, I rack it into a gallon jug with mead all the way up into the neck. This sits for a few months before racking again or bottling if clear.

For myself, I wouldn't worry about the extra gallon of headspace in primary... I worry about too little space when mixing and degassing.

If you use a stirrer attached to a drill, then you will probably be glad for the extra space when you vigorously mix it to get as much 02 in there as possible. That extra space can prevent spilling either by yourself or a CO2 degassing that starts to really get going.

When the fermentation is done is when you will probably want to get it into a carboy(s) to minimize your headspace.

Back